Author Topic: Build-Off Ideas and Sign-ups  (Read 31267 times)

February 26, 2007, 01:05:18 PM
Read 31267 times

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
This thread is for posting ideas for potential build-offs and signing up for said build-offs. Please follow the guidelines for Build-offs here.

Please note: Posting an idea in here and getting more than 3 people to sign-up does not mean that your build-off will be approved. We still care about quality here (and always will) so we want to see GOOD ideas and INTERESTING build-offs. If you idea is not approved and or no one signs-up, there's no reason you can't build the kit on your own as we've always done. :wink:
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:35:07 PM by FichtenFoo »

February 26, 2007, 05:53:59 PM
Reply #1

Anchang

• Mohawk-Bot
  • Information
  • Keep away from children
    • View Profile
A Biker Build Off?  With Tamiya 1/12 Motorcycles.  No stock color schemes just some crazy street racing bikes.
Also Known as Havok
Colbert      2008

March 11, 2007, 04:06:02 AM
Reply #2

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Hello everybody. I'am currently mixing parts from a 1/144 hazel kit and 1/100 RX-78 VerKa kit. It's quite fun. If someone wants to join me... If not I don't care, I'll show you this in the in progress thread.

March 15, 2007, 07:12:24 AM
Reply #3

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
I'm toying with some wargame scale starships.

I plan to build a small vignnete with futuristic scenery. I got mine from the full thrust line, and it can be a fun relaxing project with not too many complications.

And here are links and pictures as requested - I still need to post pictures of what I've done so far :).

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?page=ft-fp.html&cart_id=2636722.1110

I bought 6 light fighters, 1 Battlecruiser and 1 Battleship which isn't shown there, but is similar to the dreadnoughts.

http://www.gtns.co.uk/store1/commerce.cgi?product=FT-UNSC&exact_match=on&cart_id=2636722.1110

« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 08:20:41 AM by braxat2000 »

March 15, 2007, 08:12:35 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Post some links or pics to the ships you're referring to. That may inspire some people.

Same with you Nico... pics = inspiration!

Thanks!

March 28, 2007, 12:26:37 PM
Reply #5

Kiske

• Outlaw
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • Ravious Works
 I would like to pass the idea of an original New Mobile Report: Gundam Wing Build-Off.

It would compose of 1/100 and 1/144 original Gundam Wing kits. (No Endless Waltz.)

Praticipants would go all out. I'm mean how many times have you seen a nicely done Wing kit that is NOT the WING ZERO CUSTOM or WING GUNDAM VER.KA.

March 28, 2007, 02:38:03 PM
Reply #6

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
You'd have to pick a particular kit as the build-offs, unlike Group-builds, are for multiple people doing the same kit. Maybe a Heavyarms Build-off, or a Nataku Build-off. I'd even go as far as to allow (same scale) The original or EW HA. On that note though, I have a 1/100 Tallgeese 3 (but will be done as the first) that I wanna update at some point down the road.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:38:14 PM by FichtenFoo »

March 29, 2007, 11:38:06 PM
Reply #7

Kiske

• Outlaw
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • Ravious Works
Now you got it... A 1/100 Tallgeese Build off. Alot of variation as the kit is 3 in one!

April 10, 2007, 02:23:02 AM
Reply #8

CaptainPlastic

« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 03:41:50 AM by CaptainPlastic »

May 10, 2007, 01:56:30 PM
Reply #9

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
What about an Armored Core build-off? Since the ACs are so interchangeable by nature, such a build-off would circumnavigate the "same kit" rule.

May 11, 2007, 11:14:41 AM
Reply #10

machinedragon

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://machinedragon.com
personally out of the entire gundam universe , something about the style of zeon has intrigued me for years . personally (imop) gouf , kampher , and the zaku II are the staples of the glory of zeon , there already is a kamph komp , but how would people feel about a build off  of goufs ?  i belive like the kamph , we can show a broad range of ability and design , and still retain a zeon feel ,  people who are squeamish could build the mg gouf standard , more advanced , gouf custom, and flight type , and more extreme hyper glourious gouf , in any way impressive

does this sound fun ?  or is everyone on a kampher binge , and sick of zeon

May 11, 2007, 11:40:14 AM
Reply #11

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
machinedragon, your thead has been merged to the ideas main thread.  Please do not start a new topic until you have a duel/build-off ready to go. :mod:

May 11, 2007, 01:22:41 PM
Reply #12

machinedragon

• Information
    • View Profile
sorry topichappy today

May 11, 2007, 03:20:59 PM
Reply #13

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
I could go for a Gouf build-off down the road. I have an old MG Gouf Custom (my 4th MG) that I've recently stripped. I've gotten Ako's cable replacements for and have other plans for it.

May 11, 2007, 05:33:20 PM
Reply #14

Marc

• Information
  • FFF Staff
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
That'd be something I could be interested in. I've always wanted to build that kit.
The only problem is that it takes me forever to finish kits since I don't care for OOB... would depend on the deadline.

May 11, 2007, 11:03:38 PM
Reply #15

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
I don't think there is any dead line here

May 13, 2007, 06:13:33 PM
Reply #16

spiffitz

• Information
  • I break stuff
    • View Profile
I recently picked up an OTB built Gouf custom from eBay and I'm planning to take apart. Would be fun to do after the Kampfer group build.
Ron

May 14, 2007, 09:20:05 AM
Reply #17

machinedragon

• Information
    • View Profile
my plan is the extreme , im planning to take the hy2m gouf , and make into gouf custom , ( after getting the hy2m noticed how bad the seam lines are , so i dont know if ill address that or not ) ,  id love to do flight type , but i only have 1 hy2m gouf , 1 gouf custom , and 1 standard gouf ,

but i want to make these 2 points perfectly clear , AFTER KAMPFHER comp is over then the "i pilot that gouf" comp , and we need to vote on the limits , i think it would be fine to do the chibi goufs , but there the lowest gouf i think we should compete with , that would give almost 4 different kits to be able to work with   unless they make a pg gouf and i didn't know 

deadlines .... im not one for deadlines but i also have limits too , i think we can set the max deadline to the end of this year , ( very generous ) or give a few months after sign up and group buy  but the real deadline is obtaining the prize

i was thinking about prizes and i think one that i think people might fight for is a large sized gouf sheild or helmet , ie a 3 feet x 1.5 feet shield or a helmet that can be worn over winners head to prove there more gundam than human

i have to check with the metal yard and see how expensive it would be , but thats the kind of prize that merits highest modifications possible and of course bragging rights at any convention

otherwise i think the prize should be at least enough to get a mg kit  second gets a zeon medal ( probably made of steel ) honorable mention gets a zeon dogtag ( pilot name, id number , rank, gouf (version) )

does this sound interesting ?

May 14, 2007, 11:44:38 AM
Reply #18

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • FFF Staff
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
does this sound interesting ?
Yes, it all sounds terribly interesting--especially the part about contracting a "metal yard" to build prizes. Interesting, yet probably not very feasible. I'm not trying to burst your bubble here, but these build-off's and duels are more about the spirit of friendly competition and mutual interest than they are about swag.

I enter a Build-Off, Duel, or Group Build not because I want to be the best, but because I want to better myself. And I want to be part of some collective effort greater than myself. I'm not in it because I want to be judged by my peers to be better than "Modeler X". Competition isn't a bad thing, by any means, it's just not why I--personally--get involved with these.

And exactly what kind of convention would you adorn yourself with "Goufiness" and expect one-half of one percent of the attendees to understand that you actually have "bragging rights" and you're not just... Goufy?

In short, your "plan" could be a little too "extreme". Of course... I could be wrong.

"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

May 15, 2007, 09:10:07 AM
Reply #19

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
What about an Armored Core build-off? Since the ACs are so interchangeable by nature, such a build-off would circumnavigate the "same kit" rule.

It's handy to be able to change the rules whenever you like, eh?  :P  The exact reason I didn't suggest an AC build-off here already is because of that rule.

I've issued an open challenge for an AC build on COM and Hobbyfanatics, with an end-of-June deadline.  Since that's just a month and a half at this point I'm thinking of maybe extending it for the benefit of people just joining up, and doing another with an end-of-year deadline.
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net