Author Topic: 1/35 Kampfer!!!  (Read 10447 times)

November 16, 2006, 11:55:08 PM
Read 10447 times

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Since we are discussing Kämpfers in this section, I thought this would be the best place to post this topic.

After reading through the KKKKK section, I have ordered my Kampfer kit... I want to enter the contest, but I am uncertain if I would be able to spare the time to such a ambitious project by the deadline given. I will do the project, but time is a issue. :cry:  :cry:

So what do you think? Should I give it a try? :?

So I decided would try to make a 1/35 Kämpfer, I need the actual MG Kampfer kit to get the measurements, and have a reference as I slowly construct the model. I am seriously considering building a Zeon Remnant Kämpfer, which means the MS will be highly modified, and much more fun to make. Building the 1/60 Hazel that I want is not cost effective for me at this time, the amount of money I would spend, I could buy 10 MG kits. So I am shelving this idea, in favor of the 1/35 Kämpfer  :nerd:

I also have boxes and boxes of WWII German 1/35 figures, this will give me a chance to put them to good use.

Yes, I like the Zeon Stutzer unit fist forearm and all, used by the Zeon Remnant in AOZ and Z Gundam,  they way Zeon upgraded their Mobile Suits by adding extra boosters, armor, modules and weapon pods to a MS has really intrigued me, I am still thinking and planning things out in my mind.

But what I am having trouble finding are drawings of the internals of the Kämpfer, especially the internals of the Kämpfer's head. The reference thread in this section has helped a lot, but I need more information.

Any Advice on where I can get more information on the internals of the Kämpfer.  

Am I really Krazy to think that I can pull this project off??? :shock:  :shock:  :whacko:
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

November 17, 2006, 05:57:05 AM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Quote from: "clee-cm"
Am I really Krazy to think that I can pull this project off??? :shock:  :shock:  :whacko:

My honest opinion is "no", sorry I don't mean to dampen your enthusiasm, but it just seems too big of a plan to pull off.  Pazu spent so much time just to build the head in 1/35, and the K has so many curves (read: time consuming)...I don't think this is realistic.

Feel free to prove me wrong.  :wink:

November 17, 2006, 06:14:04 AM
Reply #2

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
What I would suggest - but this is just me opening my big mouth - maybe try something a little less ambitious, and a little easier to achieve - like a 1/60th Kampfer.  Get a PG Zaku, and use that as the basis for the conversion.

November 17, 2006, 07:27:09 AM
Reply #3

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Thanks for the comments guys, I have been thinking about this for a while, I have read Paku's web-blog and his posts on the project, so I am aware of the difficulties in taking on this project, I like him would have to find a way to make the curved armored surfaces out of something... :?:  

My question is this, is the Zaku's internal frame that similar to a Kampfer? I do realize that the Kampfer had to be derived from something, I have not thought about using a PG Zaku's internal frame and making the kampfer's armor plates from scratch.

Well, I am waiting for my order from Hobby-Wave, I have time to think about this. I think I will try and make one part first then see how it goes. :?:  :construct:

November 17, 2006, 07:44:35 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
1. Only the Gundam Master Grade Kampfer Kit is allowed. You may use parts of other kits for kit-bashing/scratchbuilding.

There you have it... Rule #1 for this Kontest actually. :lol:

Aside from that though, 1/35 does seem like a huge undertaking. Good luck with it. If I were going to use a PG Frame for a Kampfer, I'd probably use the WZC and call it 1/72 scale. (Since the WZC is smaller) Only because the WZC has a thinner frame than the Zaku and parts of the K are lanky.

November 17, 2006, 10:09:13 AM
Reply #5

pu_rplecow

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.thiscowispurple.com/
:shock:

I think it'll be really quite hard to build a 1/35 because of the sheer amount of material you'll be working with. It'll be at least 30kg if its solid if you take that as reference. Can't imagine how much magicsculpt you have to order. And you'd have to have the "mad skillz" of a g system sculptor. But heck, if it makes you happy, why not give it a shot anyway?? Nobody here would object. haha..

Anyway, there is a kind of foam that has a wood stiffness but can be cut and sanded down quite easily. I've seen it in my unversity bookshop at the architechture side. Its pretty cheap. A big board 3 fingers thick was only about 9usd. Cover it with magicsculpt and i guess you can be on your way (gross understatement of the moment).
www.thiscowispurple.com
I'm trying to decrease my talk : model ratio.
Less talk more model!

November 17, 2006, 10:30:28 AM
Reply #6

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
What I am thinking is like Pazu, make a foam form of outer armor, then use something like magic sculp or sculpey to make the outer armor shell, the foan forms would be removed and set aside for future use.

I think I am going to test my ideas out first and see if it is a workable idea first, before I launch into a full modeling project of the Kampfer. :meh:  :meh:

I would have to make a metal frame of the Mobile Suit, then build around it. Makoto Kobayashi mobile suit models were what pushed me to seriously consider doing such a large project. :whacko:

November 22, 2006, 11:08:55 PM
Reply #7

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
I got my Kampfer from Hobby Wave today, they really turned my order around fast, I ordered on 11/17, and just before Thanksgiving.

Now it is time for me to do some measuring, planning and thinking, about how to make a 1/35 Kampfer.

I scanned and scaled up the plans for the Kampfer that were in the instruction manual, wow this thing will be big approximately 22.3" tall. :D

December 01, 2006, 11:30:54 PM
Reply #8

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Well, here is a update to the 1/35 Kampfer build...

I have not started actual construction yet, I am in the process of drawing plans for the construction of the MS. I am in the process of drawing the plans for the outer armor, I have not started drawing plans for all of the interior and skeletal components yet.

Below is a link to my flickr photo set.

Please note, I have reduced the dimensions of some of the plans, not all of them are to scale.

1/35 Kampfer Plans, so far...

I have not planned out where all of the extra detail for will go, I do realize that there are a lot of extra hatches and panels that need to be created.

December 01, 2006, 11:50:01 PM
Reply #9

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Good luck dude. I am assuming this is going to be a fixed posed build?

December 02, 2006, 07:58:47 AM
Reply #10

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Thanks, Mtomczek -

As of this point, it will be a fixed position model, based on my experiences with the 1/72 scale Gundam MK.III, it will be to much work to make it movable. I am considering making a diorama of some sort, may be a landing bay or maintenance facility scene.

I have a lot of 1/35 scale WW2 German figures, and I have Gundam 0083, when "The Nightmare of Solomon" went to Africa, they had a lot of good scenes of the Zeon Maintenance personnel.

So it will be possible to modify the figures into Zeon personnel.

January 10, 2007, 03:48:51 PM
Reply #11

D:Fuse

• Information
    • View Profile
Any updates or progress? I want to see the 1/35 Kampfer.

January 10, 2007, 04:12:22 PM
Reply #12

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Sorry, about the lack of updates on this thread. This is where things stand right now.

I have made no further progress yet, because of the Christmas and New Years holiday, I have been doing a lot of planning as to how I am going to build this thing.

Please not, I am not working on this project full time, I have photos from my Christmas travel that I have to finish editing.

This is what I am planning, I am going to build the Kampfer like a 1/35 static military model, I am planning show part of the cockpit, arm and leg interior only. So far, I have been busy drawing the cross section for all of the Kampfer's parts. The hard part is trying to build everything so that the model does not collapse in on itself.

This is what happened to my Gundam MK-III... :cry:

Because of the scale of this project, I am taking things one step at a time. The next step for me is to start test building some of the outer armor parts of the Kampfer.

Trust me, I am working on this thing...  :construct:

January 12, 2007, 10:58:30 PM
Reply #13

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Ok, since the last post, I actually got off my lazy rear-end and started work on the Kampfer. I started by using florist foam to cut the basic shape, I am intending to make the outer armor shell out of putty so I need a form to lay the putty on top of.

So I spent some time cutting and sanding the basic shape of the Kampfer. I have finished the head, shoulder, and part of the lower arm.

Below are a few shots of the head:

This is the shoulder armor:

After I cut the basic block of foam, I use a black marker to draw the basic shape on to the block of foam.

These are the templates that I used to draw outlines of the Kampfer parts on to the foam blocks.

This a before and after shot of one of the lower arm shell forms. I use a hand saw to cut the basic shape then sand the pieces to the correct contour. Since this these pieces will not be seen I am not worrying about the detail at this piont.

So far so good, I have not run into any major snags yet. Wow, this thing is going to be big!

January 15, 2007, 01:02:41 AM
Reply #14

D:Fuse

• Information
    • View Profile
Good progress! I really can't wait for it to finish.

February 06, 2007, 09:18:25 PM
Reply #15

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Ok, it is time for another update, I am still using green florist foam, it is really easy to cut and sand, plus it holds it's shape very well.

I am working on the left leg right now, so far so good, the Kampfer is starting to take shape. But the clean up afterwards is the part that sucks, and the part that I hate the most. So far, I have the lower arms, parts of the left leg in the photos below, the shoulder armor, and the head.

When I first started drawing up the plans and measurements, I had no idea how big the thing will be, but wow, this thing is going to be big!!! :shock:

Check out the progress photos below:

February 07, 2007, 07:23:45 AM
Reply #16

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
The shape is definitely K legs, but looks a bit short to me.  But since I didn't do any measurements it's just based on first-glance impression.  The foam looks like a good medium for the rough outline of the part, how do you intend to coat it?  Putty?

February 07, 2007, 08:22:24 AM
Reply #17

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Quote from: "Major Blah"
The shape is definitely K legs, but looks a bit short to me.  But since I didn't do any measurements it's just based on first-glance impression.  The foam looks like a good medium for the rough outline of the part, how do you intend to coat it?  Putty?

For the upper leg parts, I know it does look short, but I have not built the internal frame of the leg yet, so it looks shorter than normal. But the foam pieces are to scale, I checked the measurements.

After I finish the foam parts for all the pieces of outer body armor I will coat them with putty, I am going to hollow out the foam once the putty has set. I am not doing any detail work right now, it would be a waste of time at this point.

March 21, 2007, 06:41:41 AM
Reply #18

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Ok, it has been a while since I updated this thread, after building my own website, and several other sites at work, I am feeling a little burned out. Things have been difficult at work, with one client, and it has left me with little enthusiasm for scratch building.

So I am slowing down work on this project, I have been thinking about how to build the inner frame of the leg. Up to this point I am 75% sure on how to tackle the problem. But I am still searching for a way to make a strong joints.

March 21, 2007, 09:16:48 AM
Reply #19

Irk

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pixelgraphics.us
If you are looking for strong ball joints for the size you are working in, you might want to check out: http://www.armaverse.com/

They make armatures for the claymation industry - and the joints allow you to tighten them in some cases, but are strong enough to hold the position even when weighted down with clay.

This system is not cheap - but it might give you ideas that you could make yourself.
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever - Anonymous