Author Topic: Yet another project: MG Destiny conversion; Now with Decals!  (Read 5777 times)

June 12, 2007, 02:36:07 PM
Read 5777 times

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
So, aside from a MG Strike Freedom (which has been shelved due to it being kinda boring) my current CE project is converting a MG-level Destiny, using parts from the MG Freedom, MG Strike Freedom, Destiny 1/100, and special guest stars from Core-Works...  I could say I got inspired by the one at the A-N contest, but it mainly just showed me that my old one suuuuucked.  >_>;

The 1/100 NG was rescued from a previous aborted attempt using the Wing Ver Ka...  the proportions were totally off, so that sucked.  This, on the other hand, has promise... just need to beef out the legs a little.

The Strike Freedom torso got abandoned in favour of using a modded Freedom torso with Core-Works parts for my MG SF...  So, Destiny gets the spares.  Chunky and angular enough, with nice poseable shoulders...

...and as an added bonus, the backpack's big enough to take both Destiny's wings AND weapon holders...

The crotch is Destiny's, with some pla-plate to bulk it out a little.  there's putty behind there making it stay in place on Freedom's frame.  Surprisingly good fit. 

The legs are the Freedom legs, with Core-works SF calves.  Going to have to work on them a lot though, and might bulk out the lower calf somewhat to match the chunkier thighs which Destiny has.  Might do some of that Motoo Osumi Chunky pla-plate detail stuff or something.  Ankles are Strike Freedom's, reversed, though that's just because I had some screwed-up ones  spare more than anything else.  Ankle-guard is Destiny's going to mod a ball-joint so it attaches like Freedom's only from the front.  the FEET, however, are from the MG G-Gundam, which are going to get bulked out...

Not taken any pics of the current assembly, but I'll post some later.  My to do list, in no particular order:

1.  Beef up the Wings somehow.  They're just puny.

2. Following a discussion with someone else who doesn't like Destiny's Asymmetry, I'm going to build a pair of identical sword/gun/combo things to take the place of the ASS/Beam cannons on the backpack.  Hopefully I'll have them extendable, rather than folding, and basically have an anti-ship-sword along the side of a long beam cannon. 

3.  Improve the feet.  The G-Gundam feet are actually very similar to Destiny's, but are too small.  Mainly chose them for the range of motion. 

4. Beam Wings!  I picked up some clear casting resin in Canada, so if I have the time and patience I might well try and make some kind of clear beam part for the Wings of Light as practice for my V2...  Probably end up sculpting a master and just recasting it clear. 

5.  Shoulderpads.  They're just... meh.  Going to fit them to the Freedom's clippy things.

Comments, crits, questions, anything short of open mockery, fire away. :P
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 01:25:06 AM by GlauG »

June 12, 2007, 02:37:19 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com

June 13, 2007, 04:08:53 AM
Reply #2

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Oooh, thanks for that.  WAY chunkier than I intend mine to be, but some snazzy detail...

June 18, 2007, 02:29:02 PM
Reply #3

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile

No major changes, just a lot of small tweaks.  The knees are there as "placeholders", but I went the Keita/Mesarion route and just glued the Destiny ankleguard to the front of the Freedom one (did the same thing for my MG Justice years back).  Also decided on the MG Freedom feet. with some Plasticard on the sides (when I get to it).

I was worried the legs and arms would look too skinny with the beefy, powerful torso, but I'm actually pretty pleased.  The thigh mods bulk out the legs a lot, appearance-wise, without harming the poseability, while putttied Core-Works Strike Freedom calves actually do a decent job of passing for Destiny's, with some scribing.  The arms are also C-W SF ones, with some cutting and sanding to shape so they resemble Destiny's armguards a bit more.  I'm going to put some pins through the armguards over and under the arms and puttying over them to make them better resemble Destiny's later, and give it some snazzy "rivet" detail by being lazy and leaving the pinheads out... My current plan for the hands is to use recast S-F HDM's  and some cut down 1/100 Legend hand back pieces.  I'll just make the one pair of legend hand backs, and then peg them into whichever hands I pose Destiny with at any given time. 

The next big project after the arms is to make the torso accurrate, or at least more closely resemble the original.  Shouldn't be too bad really..  going to try and heat the Destiny 1/100 light blue chest parts and slap them onto the torso so they conform to that before I putty extra length onto them.  Also need to putty the centre of the chest... Well, back to work this weekend, when I get a long weekend to clean my appartment and do more modelling.

June 23, 2007, 03:38:21 PM
Reply #4

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
So, despite getting called into work yesterday on my day off I got a lot of small detailing done on Destiny:

Ignore the fact the sword's broken...  I'm still working on a good way of doing my combined gunblade thingies.

Very happy with how the legs look.  not sure if I want to close up the gap at the knees or do more "exposed frame" detail to match it.

More leg detail, including metal thrusters! 

Still need to do something with the Wings and torso though, the torso's not quite done.  And the wings are waay to small.  Thoughts on the DRAGOONs (an idea from Roken), anyone...?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:39:00 PM by GlauG »

June 24, 2007, 03:15:19 AM
Reply #5

Roken

• The Red Knight
  • Information
  • Gundam Concept Underway
    • View Profile
    • Rokcorp
Looking great sir. ^_^

On the dragoons, i was thinking it might be an idea to steal some from a 1/144 kit for the smaller spikes on the wings, that'll balance the look out abit more. But it just means sacrificing a 1/144 kit for it.

That gun looks great, didn't see that before. Those two bits at the end of it though, are those beam sabers??

Keep it up. ^_^

July 26, 2007, 10:44:12 PM
Reply #6

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile

So, just in case anyone had some kind of doubt, the resin OreGuns Fulcy's got hold of are absolutely goooorgeous.  Combined with a metal 1/6 scale Katana i may or may not use, I can now start working on Destiny again...  Just got to do the wings, and I'll be pretty much ready to paint.  I was going to give it a pair of these cannons on the backpack, then swords on top of that, but that seems somewhat like overkill now. <_<;

The main thing is, while the katana looks gorgeous, it's not very well visually balanced against Destiny's huge new gun.  I might well beef up Destiny's folding Arondight sword instead to match, any suggestions?

August 11, 2007, 02:46:02 PM
Reply #7

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Bleh, forum ate my first try at posting...  Just more in-progs of my MG Destiny, want it done before the MG kit comes out.  A replaced beam cannon, a beam sword that's in the progress of being beefed up, that's about all for now really. 

Apologies for terrible photos, but it's late...

August 13, 2007, 08:42:52 AM
Reply #8

CHAOS|ZERO

• Information
    • View Profile
Very good attempt at making a MG destiny... You are right, The wings are So small in comparison to the freedom's torso

August 19, 2007, 08:52:31 AM
Reply #9

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Right, this is probably the last update before I apply decals and it goes in finished models. :)  All I have left to do is decals, and some detail painting (like the blue stripes on the chest)

August 22, 2007, 01:24:25 AM
Reply #10

GlauG

• Information
    • View Profile
Unfortunately the weather here sucks, and while my GF is moving out I can't get a "proper" photo setup for artificial lighting. So, here are some crummy, overcast photos of Destiny... As soon as I have a base for this and Legend, I'll consider it finished, I think.

Decals actually look better in photos than real life... the ones on the wings aren't as nice as they appear.  Otherwise pretty happy.  The "bomb-gun" from Fulcy;s store looks a hell of a lot better than the original Destiny folding cannon.