Author Topic: Ma.K.: Heinrich II--from scratch!  (Read 18401 times)

January 14, 2008, 08:56:35 AM
Read 18401 times

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Holy crap! I'm posting an in-progress build (sort-of). BK's Ma.K. Board, maschinenkrueger.com, recently started a new Group Build: "Design and Build an Original Suit for the Ma.K. Universe." Sounds straightforward, and it matched up with something I was about to begin, anyways, so I might as well pull double-duty and post this in both places.

Personal Note: The reason I haven't been posting in-progress threads is that I've still not bothered to set up a decent way of taking more polished pictures once I've got something finished (and yes, I'll be building one of those $10 light boxes someday). Hopefully, I'll pull my head out once I get this thing wrapped up. At any rate, here's my first in-progress post for the Heinrich II:

It occurred to me that 1:48 Hughes helicopters are a lot more readily available (and cheaper!) than Heinrichs these days, and that scratch-building one shouldn't be too terribly bad--in comparison to some other things I've attempted. With that in mind, I've opted to scratch-build a Heinrich variant for this Group Build. Here's some of the parts I've gathered so far:

Not much to look at yet. Contrary to the picture, I won't be using that cast I made of a Raptor gun. For one thing, it's a Mercenary weapon. For another, I picked up a Hughes 500D-Tow, and realized that I had the parts to make the Gustav weapon at hand. I also won't be using 1:144 Zaku upper legs I think they're too big (EDIT: I appreciate Major Blah getting them to me, and I do have another idea for them!). I'll end up using some 1:144 Gundam legs... I'm just not sure what yet. Not pictured are ping-pong balls and plastic fingernails--which will both probably end up in the finished product.

My ultimate goal with this project is to not use any actual Ma.K. kit parts. If I can't achieve that, I'm going to try to use an absolute minimum of parts possible. So far, I may have to cheat and use the exhaust/intake off a Ma.K. model as I'm not sure of the source part on that. I could always screw with styrene pipe, but we'll see. I'm also not sure about what to do for engine detail on the back. It'll be somewhere between a Gustav and a Heinrich... I'm just not sure what shape it's going to take yet. I suspect it'll use a road wheel from a tank, at the least.

I haven't decided on a pilot yet, but it's probably going to be female. Either that, or Tamiya pit crew. If it's a female, I'll call her "Ludmilla", after the character from Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series of books.

The design idea is a Heinrich that has been repaired in the field, using available parts from the Gustav or whatever else happens to be handy. Due to restrictions on some supply lines, modifications during repairs of Heinrichs in the field happens surprisingly often--especially as the base model becomes obselete or phased out in favor of newer armored suits. Collectively, these bastardized Heinrichs have been called the "Heinrich II" design, to differentiate them from stock H1's. Because of the nature of the group build, I'll attempt to make some fairly distinctive changes to the design so it's not readily mistaken for a H0, H1, or Gustav.

... So that's what I've got so far. Comments, criticisms, and questions are always welcome!
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

January 14, 2008, 10:22:38 AM
Reply #1

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Sounds like a cool concept.
Man, I wish I had more time and less projects. I've been wanting to use my safs for something, that could be an opportunity...
Waiting for updates (some artwork maybe?)!

January 14, 2008, 11:07:13 AM
Reply #2

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com

January 14, 2008, 11:16:34 AM
Reply #3

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Sounds like a cool concept.
Man, I wish I had more time and less projects. I've been wanting to use my safs for something, that could be an opportunity...
Waiting for updates (some artwork maybe?)!

Thanks! I think it'd be very interesting to see what you did with a SAFS, Ezechiel. Even if you just built it OOB, it'd be a nice little break for you. If I get any concept sketches together, calling it artwork may be giving it too much credit. I'm in the process of finishing up a Fireball right now. Once that gets done, hopefully the Heinrich II will be on the fast-track.

Dude, screw making yourself a light box, buy it!

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-20-50CM-PHOTO-LIGHT-TENT-SOFT-BOX-LIGHTING-CUBE_W0QQitemZ200190240586

I almost jumped on that until I saw that shipping & handling was $18.99... Besides, I have boxes galore and some white tissue paper. Anything's better than what I've got now.
-The Wright Brothers

January 23, 2008, 06:58:50 AM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I added another entry to my group build thread. And what I lack in substance, I make up for in... Word count? Anyways, 'ere's what I've gone and done:

Would you look at that progress...

Unfortunately, I'm working on the one on the right. At this point, I've puttied a few of the seams, but not all of them. In my head, I thought it might be neat to leave some of the seams in there. In retrospect (after applying some paint), this makes it too easy to see the donor helicopter in there. So... I'm going to go back and cover up all the seams. I'll be leaving the Gustav-type front on him, and I think I have an idea where I'm going with his engine/backpack now. I'm past the "what am I going to do?" stage and into the "I think I'll try this" stage. That must mean progress.

I'm thinking it might be fun to run a USB light to the front of the torso, in the same manner illustrated in the Gustav instructions. I'm completely illiterate on model lighting, though, so this will require some research. Ultimately, the finished product will end up on my desk at work, and I've always got at least two computers and as many USB hubs running.

Someone suggested I try doing a sketch of my idea for this thing (Ezechiel suggested "artwork"--which I interpretted as a "sketch"). This didn't work out for two reasons: (1) I started a sketch, and thought "what the hell is that?!?" and (2) I'm more-or-less making this up as I go along. I know what the torso, gun-arm, and paint scheme are going to be. Outside of that, I'm just crossing each bridge as I come to it.

Regardless, I am working on it. Even when I'm not cutting plastic or sorting through scrap kits, I'm brainstorming or pouring over Ma.K. books and website looking for inspiration. I'm in this for the long haul.
-The Wright Brothers

January 25, 2008, 08:13:49 AM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Another half-ass update has been posted--if you can even call it that:

I haven't been able to spend more than twenty minutes at the modeling bench in the last two days, and here's all I've managed to accomplish:

Yes, all I've managed to do is throw some putty on those seams I want to get rid of. I haven't even managed to sand it smooth yet. I also looked through my scrap/donor kit pile, looking for something specific to use as the backside of this beast. I found a couple small pieces, but nothing that looks like a good solution. If anyone has any suggestions for donor kits to get the type of "engines" (or heat sinks) seen on the back of the Heinrich or SAFS, I'm all ears.

What's (potentially) more interesting is the Academy kit sitting behind it: a 1/48 "Hughes 500D TOW Helicopter". I bought it for the potential of having a Heinrich torso, but I didn't realize that the imaging piece on the front canopy was another Ma.K. donor. Not only that, but I'm reasonably certain that the TOW launchers are the Gustav gun-arm, which will change my previous plan for the Heinrich II left arm. I picked this up for less than $5.00 USD, so I may try to snag a couple more--just to have them available in the future.

It's all shaping up--although right now, the shapes are more of a mental process than an actual modeling exercise.

Comments, criticisms, and questions are always welcomed!
-The Wright Brothers

January 28, 2008, 07:00:23 AM
Reply #6

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Another update: Thanks to the identification of a donor part, I've added some bits to the Heinrich...

Thanks to Petrie casting some light on the Heinrich backpack, I made some progress over the weekend. Not much, but progress, nonetheless. First, I picked up another 1:48 Hughes 500D TOW by Academy. As BK indicated, there are a couple minor changes to the sprue layout, but all the pieces that were present on the Hasegawa kit seem to be present on the Academy kit. Right now, I'm trying to decide if I want to try to incorporate those indirect binoculars into the thing or not. I'm leaning towards "not".

Much more importantly, I picked up a 1/12 Tamiya motorcycle. It's a Yamaha something-"1000"-something "Endurance Racer". That's all I can remember offhand. It was also the cheapest motorcycle they had in the hobby store (when you plan on sacrificing an entire kit for just one part, price is a factor--unless you're Jason Eaton  :P  ;D ). I found a good-looking part, stuck some sticky-tack under it, and here's the results:

As nice as that looks, it also looks entirely too much like the donor part. So... I took the toothy saw to it. Once I was done trimming it down, I set it on a piece of paper, traced a slightly larger shape onto the paper, cut that out, traced the paper onto styrene, cut that out, took some styrene angle pieces, glued them to the "shaped" piece, and did a rough mock-up. Here's that pic:

I like it! I need to add some fiddly bits to fill out the empty space on top of the riser. Prior to that, however, I need to finish filling out the sides of the styrene riser. I'll probably use some Milliput along the seam both to help hide it and to simulate weld beads. It's got a perfect spot for an exhaust ("intake"?!?), and it looks similar to the original Heinrich, without being a spot-on match. That's exactly what I was looking for. The successor to the Heinrich. Not a reproduction of the original.

After that's taken care of, I need to put something below the engine riser. Either something that looks like the Hornisse-dock piece or... I'm not sure what. Something's going to go there, however. I'm not sure which direction I'm going to go after the backpack is done, but I'll probably continue work in the torso area.

It's starting--ever so slowly--to look less like helicopter junk and more like a Heinrich.
-The Wright Brothers

January 30, 2008, 06:49:28 AM
Reply #7

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
More progress (wow, is this thing goin' slow...):

I've made a little bit of progress. Not a lot, but some.

I smoothed out the area where the exhaust will go and stuck a part from a 1:48 Revell P-40 wheel in there. In that part, I drilled eight tiny holes with a pin-vise, so it looks more-or-less like a lock-collar. I also finished boxing out the "riser" for the engine, although there was still a gap between that and the main torso (helicopter) piece. My goal was to fill that out with Milliput that would look like a weld bead (which is the point I was at when I took that picture). I'll come back to that in a minute.

On the "riser", I added some fiddly bits from a 1:72 B-25, the original 1:48 donor helicopter, and some leftover brass bits from a 1:144 "Mörser Odin" and 1:72 T34.

Coming back to the Milliput... after I'd applied it and tried to make it look like a weld bead, I realized that I really didn't like the way it looked. Part of that is probably my own inexperience with the technique, but I opted to just peel that off and I reapplied another line of Milliput which--after curing--will be sanded smooth against the riser. In short, the re-applied Milliput will be acting as a gap-filler. The problem may be that I left too much of a gap to achieve the look I was shooting for with the weld bead. Or... It may just not be a good look for what I'm doing here. Once the Milliput is sanded flush, I may or may not try a weld bead again.

For the exhaust (or "intake"--depending on what ultimately came of that debate), I'm probably going to end up using the leftover exahust from the Wave Luna Pawn. It's a good looking piece and it alread fits near-perfect in the lock-collar on the back. It breaks my "no Ma.K. kit parts" rule, but I just don't think I'd achieve results that looked so good with anything else I might try. Hopefully, this piece will be the only exception to the rule. At least it's a leftover part, I suppose.

I forgot to mention... This isn't technically my first Heinrich scratch-build. It's my second. Of course, it is my first Heinrich scratch-build in anything above 1:72 scale, so that's something!  ;D

-The Wright Brothers

January 30, 2008, 07:01:27 AM
Reply #8

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That's some HUGE weld seams, but it's turning out nicely. (wish the pics were clearer though)

January 30, 2008, 07:02:27 AM
Reply #9

Irk

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pixelgraphics.us
Lookin' good Zero. You've got a clever eye for donor kits - all the parts look like they were designed for each other. I'm keeping a close eye on your WIP - Ma.K. is slowly growing on me  :-)
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever - Anonymous

January 30, 2008, 07:19:15 AM
Reply #10

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
That's some HUGE weld seams, but it's turning out nicely. (wish the pics were clearer though)

I couldn't agree more with you about the weld seams. That's most of the reason I peeled 'em right back off after I took that picture. I blame my Sony-brand camera for the lack of image clarity. I know, I know... "it's the poor musician that blames his instrument", but there's only so far I can tweak the settings on the damned thing. Maybe I'll look over the Best Buy circular to see what's going on.

Lookin' good Zero. You've got a clever eye for donor kits - all the parts look like they were designed for each other. I'm keeping a close eye on your WIP - Ma.K. is slowly growing on me  :-)

Thanks! I don't think it's so much a clever eye as it is a stubborn streak and a willingness to go through endless trial-and-error. Ma.K. does slowly grow on you... The whole reason I started it--and the whole reason I joined FFF--was because someone decided to have a little Ma.K. group build. I hadn't really known anything about it before that. And I can say--without any doubt or embellishment--that my entry into that Group Build caused me to learn more about modeling techniques than any single build before or since. Of course, in retrospect, I wish I'd hung onto that Fliege and left it unbuilt--and bought a few dozen more kits at the time, but hindsight is always 20/20.

If you're looking to pick up a kit for cheap, ToysLogic has the AFS Mk.II on sale for $11.99. I've never used them (although I think Ezechiel might have to acquire his SAFS), but I think they were listed as a vendor on the original Ma.K. forum before that went away. EDIT: I left out that I think the AFS Mk.II is just about the ugliest kit out there, but at that price--and with inspirations like FB's "hard boiled AFS", it's hard to pass up.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 07:22:56 AM by zerobxu »
-The Wright Brothers

January 30, 2008, 07:30:47 AM
Reply #11

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Yes, that's where I got my SAFS, recommend it.
The backpack looks good but I gotta admit, I was hoping for some modifications around the head. I know the 'ugly' factor is important in Mak but I just don't care for the "head" of the Heinrich.

January 30, 2008, 07:43:31 AM
Reply #12

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Ezechiel: I'm planning on doing something with the "head" area. Just haven't figured out precisely what. I'm certainly willing to entertain any ideas on the subject. Did you have something like the Gucker in mind (with bits added on to the sides) or something more drastic?

I'd like to do some sort of different mount for those "binoculars" that are part of the Heinrich (especially since I have the donor-piece in that 1:48 Hughes 500 TOW), but I haven't gotten beyond the brainstorming stage. If I don't add the binocular mount, I'll probably add something to the top of the "backpack". Not sure where I'm going with all of it yet.

Outside of that, I'm probably going to add something similar to the part bolted on to the side of the SAFS for the gun-arm. In short, "more fiddly bits". I've also got some cockpit improvements envisioned.
-The Wright Brothers

January 30, 2008, 07:48:59 AM
Reply #13

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I was more thinking of getting rid of the front visor to put some kind of sensor like the Hyper AFS...but that kind of the visual identity of the kit so...

January 30, 2008, 08:23:19 AM
Reply #14

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I've thought about something like you're talking about with a Heinrich/PKA style suit, but I want this particular build to be open cockpit. I want to put one of those 1:20 female heads to use, and possibly make a nifty H.U.D.

However, with the scarcity of Heinrich kits and the availability (and cheapness!) of 1:48 "flying eggs", this probably won't be my last Heinrich scratch-build. Then again, I could totally foul up my cockpit plans and end up going this route as my "Plan B".
-The Wright Brothers

January 31, 2008, 06:24:40 AM
Reply #15

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Another day, another small update:

Here's my latest sticky-tack mock-up:

Last night, I re-worked the weld beads into something more in-scale. This article at ArmoramA was a huge help. The other area I began work on last night was the lower part of the back--the part where I believe the original PKA/Heinrich connected to the Hornisse. Well, for lack of a donor part, I decided to play around with it a bit and ended up with some 1:72 T34 wheels wedged inside two pieces of 5/32" styrene pipe. I did have to drill out the pipe and sand the edges of the road wheels a bit, but I got them in there. They're slightly bigger and more off to the side than the Heinrich, but they do add some nice detail there, and they look like some sort of next-gen connector over the stock Heinrich (USB 2.0 for the SDR?). Unless I come up with something I like better, I'll probably try to find a way to work these in to the final design. Who knows... Someday I may come up with a Hornisse 2.0 to go with it.  ???

The exhaust pipe is also sticky-tack'd into place, which pretty-much covers the docking collar, but I wanted to see how the back was shaping up overall. This gave me a pretty clear indication.

I guess right now, I'm looking for a little bit of input on the next-gen Hornisse connectors. Does the look work? Or should I go back and try something different?

After FF's comments yesterday, I actually went to Best Buy over the lunch hour and got myself a nice, new digital camera but I haven't had time to play with it yet so... This picture was taken with the old camera. Apologies all the way around. Better pictures will be coming. Eventually. I hope.
-The Wright Brothers

January 31, 2008, 07:12:31 AM
Reply #16

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Love the new back parts and the welds seem to look better.

January 31, 2008, 07:41:28 AM
Reply #17

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Thanks! I like the look of the new parts, but they are just a hair big. It's a sacrifice I may be willing to make, though.

And the welds do look tons better. I probably need to do a little bit of sanding clean-up, but they're consistent and in-scale now. They should look decent when painted. I just took some Milliput, rolled it as thin as I could get it, and pressed it into place. From there, I took the sharpened end of a cut piece of styrene pipe to give it some weld detail.
-The Wright Brothers

February 05, 2008, 06:44:06 AM
Reply #18

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
Latest update... And the last one for awhile...

I just didn't have an appropriate donor part for the Hornisse connector of a "stock" Heinrich, and felt like upgrading it somewhat. What you see is the in-progress result. As for the bigger engine, it does mean more power. Sticking to my original premise of a field-updated Heinrich, the bigger engine is to supply power to the Gustav-styled laser arm. And thanks on the weld beads. They're tons better, but still need some polish. I'm loving the Tamiya motorcycle parts, but I need to come up with either a better way to cannibalize the kits or a way to find cheaper kits. Rendering a moderately-priced kit as useless after taking one part makes me feel more than a little wasteful.

My new 1:1 model baby will most likely be arriving on Thursday at some point (we go in for labor inducement tomorrow evening), so this will likely be my last update for awhile. I spent the entire weekend moving my "hobby space" from the basement to the attic (for water leakage and heating reasons), so I've really only spent an hour or so on the Heinrich II since the last update. Fortunately, I did get something accomplished. And (steady yourself) it wasn't on the backpack.

I've been trying to figure out where to go with the front of this thing for awhile now, and I ended up with the above result last night. First, the "disc" on the torso is a 1:72 T34 road wheel, cut in half. On top of that, I put some random part from the Hasegawa/Minicraft 1:48 Hughes (it's the bigger, blue part). I also added the hub of another T34 road wheel and a small bead from mechaskunk. The end result is a nice little sensor cluster. Ultimately, the wheel hub will be painted with chrome silver and then topped with clear red--which should give a convincing "bulb"-like effect to the whole thing.

The Tamiya pit crew figure (torso and head, anyways) is just in there for frame-of-reference. I've got something else in mind for the pilot of this thing... Probably. Then again, he doesn't look too bad...

So don't expect any real progress updates for a bit, but I'll try to keep plugging away at it when I can.
-The Wright Brothers

February 05, 2008, 07:09:28 AM
Reply #19

Irk

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pixelgraphics.us
Keeping a detailed WIP the week your baby is due?!!!  :lol:

I definately nominate you for some karma points for that one!!

Model is really looking good - and thanks for the helpful link on weld/seam lines.
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever - Anonymous