Author Topic: 1/100 G-System Xeku Zwei  (Read 16846 times)

February 16, 2008, 06:53:05 PM
Read 16846 times

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
Hello again fellow fooers,

Next up on my list of projects is the 1/100 G-System Xeku Zwei. This is the newly re-released version which arrived on my door about a month ago. I've been working off and on cleaning all of the flash off, sanding parts, etc. All parts have been soaked and cleaned in purple power, and then scrubbed down with some soft scrub.

The main bulk of work so far has been assembling the monster. Right now I am working on how to pin the thighs to the waist so that it will stay standing. It is really back heavy, and the lower rear pod does not support the kit much at all. I am either thinking of just epoxying the legs once the kit is done, or figuring out a way to pin them. 

So far about 80% of the kit has been pinned and test fit. All that remains to actually pin and fit is the entire right arm, and the giant gun.

I have also added some of the details to the front skirts that could not be cast. I used some 1.2 mm aluminum rod and bent them to shape, then placed a square option part from kotobukiya in the center of the bars.

Here are a few progress shots:

February 16, 2008, 07:57:22 PM
Reply #1

Chex

• Procrastinator Extreme
  • Information
  • Noonch
    • View Profile
Good Lord that's huge! Be interesting to see what colors you put on this bad boy.

February 16, 2008, 09:27:08 PM
Reply #2

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Wow!!! is correct...

The finished model will be big!

How big is it compared to a Gundam GM?
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

February 17, 2008, 01:15:00 PM
Reply #3

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
IWANNIT.

Looking forward to watching this progress along with your Gerbera Tetra. You have a knack for details that I just can't help but gizz over. I take it the reason I can't see the head is because it's not on there? :O :O :O
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

February 17, 2008, 02:14:30 PM
Reply #4

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
IWANNIT.

Looking forward to watching this progress along with your Gerbera Tetra. You have a knack for details that I just can't help but gizz over. I take it the reason I can't see the head is because it's not on there? :O :O :O

Yea the head is sitting off to the side in those photos. I will take some more pictures today as I have progressed further then those shots.

I will also take a picture with another kit in it to give a size reference.

February 18, 2008, 06:57:58 PM
Reply #5

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Good evening!

Here are the pictures I had promised earlier. Enjoy! The second picture is a shot with my MG 1/100 Kampfer for size reference. The Zwei is huge! :)

February 18, 2008, 07:53:42 PM
Reply #6

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
 :twitch: That is a big 1/100 scale model... :twitch:

I went to G-System's website to have a look at the specs, and I amazed at how big this sucker is!!! It is much bigger than even I expected, now that I see the comparison photo.

Keep up the Great work!!! :-)

February 23, 2008, 08:07:04 PM
Reply #7

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Update:

I have finished up sanding/prepping the entire kit, as well as pinning and fitting everything together. I have started working on the paint, and so far have finished most of the torso pieces, and started on the right leg.

Here are a few preview shots:

February 23, 2008, 08:11:54 PM
Reply #8

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looks good. Is that some Tamiya Field Blue I spy?

February 23, 2008, 11:54:43 PM
Reply #9

nico

• Information
    • View Profile
Yes very nice colors. It's a huge kit.

February 24, 2008, 08:10:50 AM
Reply #10

Amalga

• iLurk
  • Information
    • View Profile
I'm liking the color scheme you picked out. The white also does a nice job of breaking up the colors without losing unity. Very nice.
The story of life is a long, brutal assault on your heart by the one who knows what you're capable of, and fears it--all the while pursued by the God who knows you deeply and loves you truly."

February 29, 2008, 11:12:16 PM
Reply #11

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Small update for tonight:

I have got most of the paint done on the torso and waist sections. I have also put a gloss coat down on the parts and will panel line with an ink wash tomorrow. I decided to change up the neck area color with orange instead of the original yellow. I thought the orange on the neck area complemented the red center chest portion better. After the ink wash tomorrow, these parts will get decaled and hopefully flat coated.

The second picture is the large lower foot cover/ankle guard. I legs will be half blue/half grey like the original ka design from the approved gundam book.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:27:49 AM by mtomczek »

February 29, 2008, 11:42:08 PM
Reply #12

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Nice Job so far...  8) So, what made you decide to use gloss and flat lacquer instead of future?

Wow, this beast is going to be huge, I hope you are able to find room for it in your home.

Keep up the great work!!!

March 01, 2008, 03:44:55 AM
Reply #13

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Such a huge sexy piece! Love the color so far!
Is it micromesh on the inside of the round shape on the backpack (1st picture)?

March 01, 2008, 08:22:31 AM
Reply #14

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Nice Job so far...  8) So, what made you decide to use gloss and flat lacquer instead of future?

Wow, this beast is going to be huge, I hope you are able to find room for it in your home.

Keep up the great work!!!

I've found that for some reason on resin (mostly just the g-system stuff I've built) that it takes a TON of future to get a nice glossy coat. With the Mr. Super Clear it takes a fraction of what it would with the future. For some reason the resin seems to absorb the future alot differently then the Mr. Super Clear.

That and I think I just prefer MR.S.C, I buy it in bulk cases from Rainbow 10 and comes out to being not so bad. The finish is fantastic on it, and its really a consistent product, so from can to can I don't have to worry about too many differences. And I prefer the smell of Mr. to Future, I can't stand the flowery clean stench that future leaves in the air.

Now on plastic/BanDai stuff I will sometimes use Future, it works well for those applications.

Eze - That mesh is actually cast into the inside of the vent thingy. I was pretty surprised that it held all of its detail when it was cast.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 08:26:54 AM by mtomczek »

March 01, 2008, 08:51:44 AM
Reply #15

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Looks great. Another nice part about the lacquer finish is that you can buff it to be smoother/glossier than you could with FFA.

March 05, 2008, 08:32:40 PM
Reply #16

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
The main torso is done!!!

Because of the size of this monster, I decided to finish it in sections mainly to avoid getting burnt out on each step. I have a feeling if I were to get the entire kit gloss coated and started decaling, I would never finish it. So with that being said, the main torso is done and the main part of the right leg (the foot is currently drying). The left leg is all gloss coated and just needs its decals.

March 05, 2008, 08:53:32 PM
Reply #17

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
It is absolutely beautiful.  You nailed the colors right on!

March 05, 2008, 09:22:47 PM
Reply #18

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
Man, this looks fantastic! I REALLY like that blue/gray color. I'll ask again (Master Foo asked, too, so you better answer  ;)). What colors are you using?

Can't wait to see it completed. :-)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

March 05, 2008, 11:39:38 PM
Reply #19

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
The blueish color is Tamiya Medium Blue with a little Field Blue added to it. The grey you see in the center of the waist piece and the area where the head attaches is Tamiya Light Grey with a tiny bit of Flat Blue added.