Author Topic: HGUC Zaku - 13th MS Team  (Read 7090 times)

April 01, 2008, 08:08:19 AM
Read 7090 times

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
I love Zakus and for the Fed vs. Zeon contest I wanted to build one - but Zaku pilots do seem to be rather unlucky fellows so I wanted this model and the entry as a whole to convey someone whose number was up.  :D

Check it

The build's mostly OOB.  It was a Char's Zaku so I got rid of the antenna...  I shortened the ankle fringes for looks, replaced the hands with old Kotobukiya metal parts, modded the monoeye so I could move it without opening the head and sealed up the head, etc.  Some of the decals were from Peter Savin's sheets, other stuff I printed myself (in a bit of a rush, so it looks kind of shabby up close...)  I had some trouble with the decal solvent - it messed some stuff up - so I guess I gotta work on my technique there.

The color scheme is based on the color guide from the old HG Zaku - it's lighter and paler than my Zakus tend to be but I thought I'd give it a spin.
---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

April 01, 2008, 08:16:03 AM
Reply #1

lordharrier

• Information
  • Ex-lurker
    • View Profile
the link gives back a "page not found"
LordHarrier

April 01, 2008, 08:20:56 AM
Reply #2

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
the link gives back a "page not found"

http://www.mechamodelcomp.com/?p=913

Now that's damn peculiar.  I wonder why it would do that...

http://www.mechamodelcomp.com/?p=913

I guess you all can just copy-paste the second one.  Who needs hyperlinks anyway...
---GEC

April 08, 2008, 02:03:31 PM
Reply #3

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Hey Tet, I like it.  The emblem on the shield is very nice, as is the white bands on the forearms.  The faded look on those is very consistent with the rest of the kit.  Since it's OOB for a mass produced Zaku, I think you captured the look pretty well.  Nothing too catchy.  You don't want to be drawing attention when you're riding in your zaku while "something big" is coming along.   :D

April 08, 2008, 05:08:34 PM
Reply #4

Anchang

• Mohawk-Bot
  • Information
  • Keep away from children
    • View Profile
Is that Max on the sheild?  Looks really good over all.  Nice and simple.
Also Known as Havok
Colbert      2008

April 08, 2008, 05:45:05 PM
Reply #5

makalaka

• Information
    • View Profile
    • More of A blog.
Nice and subtle it really does look like a mass produced suit. I like how the decals look weathered. I couldn't tell which ones you printed out from the pics. :-)  Good Job.

April 09, 2008, 07:07:44 AM
Reply #6

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
Is that Max on the sheild?

It sure is!  I had Bawoo print up some of those a few years back - I was going to use them on Battroids.  (I used a tiny one on my 1:200 scale Super Battroid)  Unfortunately, when I tried to use those decals on this build, they disintegrated, so I had to print my own...

Paint's scraped off a few places on the kit at this point - got bright red showing through now.  That's just frustrating.
---GEC

April 10, 2008, 01:34:56 PM
Reply #7

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
The decal looks really good actually. Always liked the look of Sam and Max and the skull ver is awesome.

April 11, 2008, 03:48:37 AM
Reply #8

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
The decal looks really good actually. Always liked the look of Sam and Max and the skull ver is awesome.

Well, if you saw it close-up you'd probably realize that it's a badly-scaled bitmap printout...  I don't have the vector graphics version Bawoo made when he printed copies of it for me, and I was in a rush so the result is a mostly-black marking with some scaled-up (and halftoned by the printer) antialiasing pixels around the boundary of the mark...  That'll learn me.  If nothing else I should at least have scaled it up and jacked up the contrast...

I can't remember where the Max Jolly Roger appeared - one of the Monkey Island games, maybe?  Or one of the Sam & Max comics from the Lucasarts newsletter?  I'm pretty sure it wasn't in "Surfin' the Highway", or I'd have a better source image to work from...
---GEC

April 28, 2008, 06:02:51 PM
Reply #9

walker

• always expect the maximum
  • Information
    • View Profile
Great job. I really like the classic Zaku design of the hguc. Some of the detailing you did to it looks ALMOST kondo-ish, like the white lines on the skirt. props for the max decal too.

i love seeing your work again. i use to follow it as you posted it on mechatalk.net but left there long ago, and actually went through a lot of trouble trying to find your site recently lol.

Did you ever finish that 08th team ground zaku?
By the way, say hi to Chris!

April 29, 2008, 10:08:37 AM
Reply #10

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net

I assume you're speaking of the HG?  :lol:  The eternal project!

I was going to take a shot at finishing it a while back - for some contest deadline I think - I added some detail to the backpack thrusters which I think worked out pretty well - but when I stripped the old paint from it to start fresh...  it turned into a giant mess.  The paint stripping product ("Easy Lift Off") when combined with parts under stress (for instance, parts holding tension on polycaps) led to parts fracturing and falling apart.  So now if I want to finish up the project I'll have to re-build or replace those bits that crumbled...

If you mean the MG I was working on - I haven't gotten back to work on that one lately...
---GEC

April 29, 2008, 08:23:42 PM
Reply #11

walker

• Information
    • View Profile

I was going to take a shot at finishing it a while back - for some contest deadline I think - I added some detail to the backpack thrusters which I think worked out pretty well - but when I stripped the old paint from it to start fresh...  it turned into a giant mess.  The paint stripping product ("Easy Lift Off") when combined with parts under stress (for instance, parts holding tension on polycaps) led to parts fracturing and falling apart.  So now if I want to finish up the project I'll have to re-build or replace those bits that crumbled...

If you mean the MG I was working on - I haven't gotten back to work on that one lately...

Whatever one took you years to widen the shield for. :p

no I was curious because I did a real quick mod of my MG Zaku into an 08th team one and wanted to base it off yours if you had it completed, but...

May 01, 2008, 09:34:33 AM
Reply #12

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net

Whatever one took you years to widen the shield for. :p

no I was curious because I did a real quick mod of my MG Zaku into an 08th team one and wanted to base it off yours if you had it completed, but...

Ah, that'd be the MG then...  Yeah, rebuilding the back-side detail of the shield was tough for me 'cause I don't do a lot of that sort of thing and I wanted to get it right...  Plus getting the front side smooth - it could have been a relatively easy thing but I didn't really take the best approach to doing it.

I tried to wrap it up last year for a MG Zaku v1.0 group-build, but I got carried away with hip mods so it didn't work out.  (2007 was a real busy year for me anyway - bought a house, got married, etc.)  I'll get back to it sooner or later.  After getting the MG Zaku v2.0 I have a greater appreciation for the original MG Zaku, so I think at this point I'd be more content with a simpler build of the kit than I was before...

Could you point me in the direction of your MG Zaku build?  I don't remember if I've seen it, and I'd like to!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 09:35:22 AM by tetsujin »
---GEC

May 01, 2008, 07:10:48 PM
Reply #13

walker

• Information
    • View Profile
Could you point me in the direction of your MG Zaku build?  I don't remember if I've seen it, and I'd like to!

Thanks, but I still have to paint the heat hawk, which I'll do now. I don't have a camera on me anymore--packed everything up to go back home for the summer- but I'll take pics on Sat. when I get home. I've got 5-6 models I've still yet to take pics of.

Also, I did it anime style, which means no shading/weathering/anything special, dark panel lines, etc, so it looks a little bland, but I can always roughen it up. Only real mods I did were the shield spikes (cut up a set of glue tips), styrene for the wrists which aren't present on the MG, and styrene to extend the vernier covers on the back as seen in the anime, and of course the color scheme used int he anime. But I'll get around to posting pics eventually...