Author Topic: King Tiger Porsche turret 1:72  (Read 5125 times)

April 08, 2008, 11:22:35 AM
Read 5125 times

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
I've finished a 1:72 model of a King Tiger with Porsche turret. The model is by Dragon with some details scratched. The zimmerit is molded on, and it is a fine little kit to build, a lot of fun to weather it.

http://www.degem.net/viewgal.php?galid=275

April 08, 2008, 11:30:19 AM
Reply #1

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
You should consider writing a book on modeling small-scale armor. I'd buy it!

As always, a fantastic display piece. The Porsche turrets were made while Henschel was spinning up production, right? I can't remember off the top of my head.

Was the figure part of the kit? Or did it have other origins?
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

April 08, 2008, 11:39:25 AM
Reply #2

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi,
Thank you very much for your kind words  :embarrased:
I'm still light years away from the true masters who did actually write books on the subject (Alex Clark with his two amazing books from Osprey).

But I did document everything I did, so please take a look in my blog in MilMod site (which gave me the kit to blog in the first place :)):
http://www.militarymodelling.com/forum/forummessages.asp?dt=4&UTN=4595&V=6&SP=

The figure is from AB figures line, which has the best (and not cheapest) looking figures I've seen for 1:72. They are metal, and are really worth the price IMHO.

Regarding the KT porsche turret, when the King tiger was planned, the two designers Henschel and Porsche came up with their own design to the turret. Porsche started manufacturing his version, but the Henschel was chosen (AKA production turret).
Porsche did manufacture 50 turrets, so in order not to waste them they were fitted to 50 KT hulls. So only 50 of these tanks operated, and so the painting schemes are very limited.

[probably there will be people who will correct the facts in this story  :P]

April 09, 2008, 10:22:33 AM
Reply #3

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I enjoyed the build-up you wrote (the photos helped a lot!), but it did raise one additional question: How did you create the sag on the DS tracks? I think I'm going to be tackling the Dragon 1/72 Henschel King Tiger soon, and the info will definitely help!
-The Wright Brothers

April 09, 2008, 08:50:54 PM
Reply #4

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you,
I believe the Henschel should be very similar. If you plan to do one without the zimmerit, you may want to consider the new box with the fallschirmjager figures.

The tracks are molded in DS - Dragon Styrene - which is a mix between styrene and vinyl of something similar, so they can be glued with regular plastic cement. You can quite easily create the sag as you can just glue the tracks around the sprocket, and after drying glue the tracks on top of the road wheels. I have mixed feelings on this track material. It is very easy to use, but because of the wide king tiger tracks, they bent inward when I glued them.

Probably something wrong I did, as I've seen others doing it right :).

April 10, 2008, 05:00:24 AM
Reply #5

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
For some reason, I never would have thought of gluing the tracks to the road wheels, and yet it seems so obvious now. Thanks for clearing that up!

I believe the Henschel should be very similar. If you plan to do one without the zimmerit, you may want to consider the new box with the fallschirmjager figures.

Yes, that's the set I picked up--the one with eight Fallschirmjager figures. I'm also picking up a copy of Osprey's Modelling Fallschirmjäger Figures manual, as their camo patterns scare me--especially in 1/72.

I've also seen the "Part 2" of that King Tiger Ardennes 1944 set. The tank is exactly the same, but it comes with four different figure poses. Honestly, I like the look of the Part 1 set better.
-The Wright Brothers

April 10, 2008, 07:12:19 AM
Reply #6

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
I would just like to point out that although zero is your fanboy club president, he's not the only member.  I for one admire your small scale armor modeling with nice bases!  This is another fine example, but since I don't know too much about armor modeling (esp. 1/72 scale) I don't have much intelligent feedback to add.

Honestly, seeing this and other works of yours and envisioning the Akuyaku coming up gets me excited. :lol:

April 10, 2008, 07:15:22 AM
Reply #7

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
I second MB, I love seeing your works, I just don't really know what to say except that I like it ^_^

April 10, 2008, 08:51:58 AM
Reply #8

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
I would just like to point out that although Major Blah is a complete and total ninnyhammer, he's also a frothy frog-toed so-and-so.   :razz:

I just greatly admire the quality of Eyal's work and the speed at which he produces it. But yeah, I'd love to watch over his shoulder through a couple builds. He's mastering skills (and scales) that I'm still stumbling over...
« Last Edit: April 10, 2008, 08:52:22 AM by zerobxu »
-The Wright Brothers

April 10, 2008, 11:21:08 AM
Reply #9

braxat2000

• Information
    • View Profile
Guys you're far too kind  :D... It is funny though, I feel the same way watching the amazing Mecha stuff produced by the great modelers here. I can just watch in awe.

Don't let the pictures fool you, I still has lots to learn, and I'm making lots of mistakes on these models just not showing you the bad sides  :lol:

I hope to start the Akuyaku real soon, I've just got a model I've been waiting to complete the Faun elefant tank transporter, so I'll need to pick a choice if to do the big tank or finish the one I've started.

In any case I'll blog it in here too.

April 10, 2008, 01:34:04 PM
Reply #10

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Fantastic as usual! Looks 1/35!