Author Topic: MG Zeta Criam MK XII ZGMF/X45 Xeku Eleventyseven Blip Eins Ma.K RX-7 GP/69 HIKE!  (Read 7980 times)

June 11, 2008, 06:08:53 PM
Read 7980 times

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Nah, not really - this is Galapagos Girl, sculpted by Sam Greenwell!  :D  :D  :D

I really like the way the fish eye she tore from the third eye stalk turned out!   :lol:

June 11, 2008, 06:25:55 PM
Reply #1

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
That's really beautiful. The earthy tones of the creatures coupled with the bright feathers and stones really makes this some great eye-candy. Very very nice!

June 11, 2008, 06:27:54 PM
Reply #2

Irk

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.pixelgraphics.us
LOL  :lol: you got me! Nice job Filmy - the eye looks great. I love the bright colors on the feathers to contrast the muted ones. As always your painting is superb.
Write a wise saying and your name will live forever - Anonymous

June 11, 2008, 09:40:50 PM
Reply #3

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Oh my!  Love the colors... gorgeous!

(Nice thread title too.  :lol:)

June 11, 2008, 10:29:45 PM
Reply #4

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
 :-) I love her!!! She turned out great, very cool!!!  8) Both the photos and the figure really pop out at you, the colors are very vivid, and have great contrast.

Great Job!!!
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

June 11, 2008, 11:28:59 PM
Reply #5

nico

• Information
    • View Profile

June 12, 2008, 10:45:42 AM
Reply #6

Captain Obvious

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Awesome.  Any in-progress shots of the painting?  I'd love to try something like this.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
-Kurt Vonnegut

June 12, 2008, 03:17:59 PM
Reply #7

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks, everyone!  I thought I might get some robot boys in here if I titled the thread in language they'd understand.   :lol:

Sorry to say that I did not photograph the process.  I got kinda burned out doing WIPs because they are a lot of work and so few people seemed to get anything out of 'em.  (Not just here, by the way - other boards, too.)  Why beat a dead horse, right?  :beatdown:

If you have any questions, though, just ask - I'll answer 'em the best I can.  :D

June 14, 2008, 01:12:46 AM
Reply #8

Hemish

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.katoots.com
That is stunning.
I cant imagine how much work went into painting that.
Sensational!!

June 15, 2008, 01:46:58 AM
Reply #9

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
There are just so many great things about this piece I don't know where to start...
Well, first off, I love the sculpting, really a cool and original model.
Painting is jaw-dropping as usual. I can't really imagine the amount of work that went into it. Makes me wish I could attend the Wonderfest seminar...
Got a question on the eye: is it an independent part from the kit or did you have to mask it? Also, how many layers of varnish were needed to make it this glossy?

June 17, 2008, 12:05:37 PM
Reply #10

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Zeke -

The eyeball is a solid resin orb with the optic nerve hanging off of it.  This critter actually had three eyes - one is visible on the top of the fish head base and one is on the bottom, where you'd expect it to be (and which you can see if you pick up the base).  The third eye - the one in her hand - comes from a "stalk" protruding from the center of the head between the eyes.  It doesn't show very well in the photos because I didn't include the proper angle in the pix I posted.

They eyeball was primed, painted with Tamiya flat aluminum through my Iwata.  I loaded up some Lifetones Gold Amber semi-transparent and sprayed several light passes in a circular motion around where I wanted the iris to be, letting the transparent color build up slowly.  Use patience here.

I painted the pupil the same way I paint nipples on my babe models.  First, I cut a circle out of a piece of manilla folder (you could also use an index card) in the diameter of the pupil (or nipple).  I made a little donut out of Silly Putty, then placed the piece of folder so that the hole hovered off of the surface about 1/16 of an inch.  I held my airbrush about six inches from the hole perpendicular to the cutout.  This is VERY important - if you shoot at an angle, you'll get paint underneath the mask and end up with a lopsided nipple, errrrr, iris.  Again, use light coats and several passes - this will build up a realistic "border" to the iris.

I finished it off using good old Tamiya clear acrylic, thinned and shot through my brush.  I think I used three coats.

Filmy

June 17, 2008, 12:10:52 PM
Reply #11

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Oh, I forgot to add that I sprayed reallllllly thin lines upward from the base of the eyeball into the iris, kinda like doing veins.  Very thin paint, light touch on the trigger, low pressure, about a half inch of the surface.  Try to emulate a super sharp pencil line.  This was to simulate the micro veins that cover the eyeball (you know, the ones you see when you close your eyes really tight while out in the bright sun when you're by the pool, pretending that you're not trying to peep the chick across the pool when she spreads her legs to get up off the chaise?)   :lol:

June 17, 2008, 12:32:49 PM
Reply #12

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Worst (and best) thread title ever.  :razz:

Amazing work, as always. It's one thing to paint things as amazing as you do, but your choice of subject is always amazing, as well. I really like the staff/spear she's holding on to, as well as the left claw-hand.

Was it hard doing a kit where the boobs aren't such a prominent feature?  :lol:
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 17, 2008, 03:29:48 PM
Reply #13

FilmMkr

• Information
    • View Profile
Was it hard doing a kit where the boobs aren't such a prominent feature?

Hey! I resemble that remark!

At least I like boobs!  Unlike some people I know who seem to be obsessed with long phallic, um, "weapons"!  :razz:  :razz:  :razz:

Wait'll you see what I've got on the bench right now - she's guaranteed to make your weapon stand up and take notice!  :lol:

June 17, 2008, 09:13:34 PM
Reply #14

wingnut

• Information
    • View Profile
amazing work filmkr!!!... :twitch:
incredible details...
even the title of the post got me smiling...

just one itsy-bitsy tiny question...should there be more...errr....blood?
Everyone grows old, but not everybody grows up..."

June 30, 2008, 04:57:18 AM
Reply #15

Gr8one

• Information
  • I just might have something to show you?
    • View Profile
 :twitch: Damn!!! Very nice with deep rich beautiful colors. You tha man!!!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 05:40:29 AM by Gr8one »
The Great ONES!!! SAUL ALVAREZ and Dan Cope