Author Topic: My Warhammer miniatures!  (Read 5559 times)

June 13, 2008, 08:36:03 PM
Read 5559 times

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
This thread is for all of my Warhammer miniatures that I've been collecting. I'll add more minis as I complete them/take photos. Today we have my Eldar Jetbikes, Space Marine Biker, and a Necron Monolith. Enjoy!

June 13, 2008, 09:03:35 PM
Reply #1

NickM

• Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
    • A3U Gundam
Looks pretty cool man!  ^_^ I'm no warhammer expert, but I think you should change up the colors you use for drybrushing. On the bike it all looks the same, the gun should be different from the rim in my opinion.

June 13, 2008, 09:14:09 PM
Reply #2

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
You're right! I think I should have done the rim in gunmetal and kept the gun silver. At least I know that now for my next batch of bikes. :lol: I went a little overboard with the rub n' buff. :embarrased:

June 14, 2008, 04:02:32 PM
Reply #3

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
Here are some samples of the rest of my Necron army. The Necrons were the first army I ever painted and you can tell from the ealier entries in this thread that I have gotten better since painting them. (hopefully anyway)

Destroyer Lord

Destroyers

Troops

Flayed ones

« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 04:03:12 PM by robofreak »

June 16, 2008, 09:49:35 PM
Reply #4

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
I just finished up my Chaos Rhino. Hope you enjoy!

June 17, 2008, 06:59:46 AM
Reply #5

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
I love the monolith the copper/gunmetal makes it quite menacing. The rhino looks good as well. Your painting and weathering is improving. If I was you I'd go back and touch up the necrons with a little of that gunmetal and a little chainmail/silver so they match the monlith a little more. The flayed ones are screaming for some gun metal and varnish on the meaty parts. :evil:

I dig it the forums a getting very diverse, keep 'em coming robo.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

June 17, 2008, 07:04:27 AM
Reply #6

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Does anybody else look at that and think it looks like a goth party bus?  :lol:

I like the tank. The subtle variations in color really give it depth.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 17, 2008, 04:10:11 PM
Reply #7

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
I really like the Rhino, IMO it's a step up from all the other minis you've shown so far.  The only thing I'd say is that the skulls don't stand out enough against the silver spikes, but maybe that's just the photo...  IIRC I suggested using some brown under the white and bone, and I still stand by that.

June 17, 2008, 04:29:40 PM
Reply #8

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
...IIRC I suggested using some brown under the white and bone, and I still stand by that.

We were just talking about that. :lol:

June 17, 2008, 07:39:15 PM
Reply #9

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
Thanks you all for your comments!

Yeah, I did'nt use a light enough brown for my skulls. I should have used Snakebite leather instead of scorched brown. Thanks Chaos!

Chaos: You don't see it due to the flash, but my Necrons shoulders are done in the copper to match the Monolith. I'll have to retake them with images of their backs. I also have a better light source so details will be more clear in future posts. I'm a little aprehensive about glossing up the flayed ones. Do you think some FFA on the flesh will help them out?

Zero: I'm going for a more gothic theme with my Chaos Marines. The Rhino was one of the most intense drybrushing sessions I've ever had to do. In fact, the only things not drybrushed are the gold bands and the brass rivets. I also need more brushes. ^_^ I found that a super light dry brushing can add a lot of depth to a piece and will be doing it from now on to all my Warhammer vehicles.

My next batch of minis I'm getting ready to show are a step up from the Necrons, but were still during my learning period. I'm going back to add some highlights, but I'm not going to completely redo them due to time and money. The pieces that I'm talking about are my Brettonians! After that though it will be all my new stuff. I'm turning my focus mostly towards Chaos related pieces and will be doing the occasional random army piece, but that's all for now!

June 18, 2008, 06:25:19 AM
Reply #10

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I don't know that FFA would work but there are a couple of GW paints that will make them shine. First the easiest is red ink, works wonders. GW makes a varnish also, it takes a while to dry and can be a little harsh on the paint so be careful with it. Oh and to add some depth to the reds on the flayed ones try some "flesh wash or chesnut ink" as well they add that dried blood look too reds and give a rusty look to metal.

June 23, 2008, 10:57:48 PM
Reply #11

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
I'm having problems finishing my Brettonians, but I have finished up my Chaos Marine Bikers along with Archaon: Lord of the End times. Enjoy!

June 24, 2008, 06:56:59 AM
Reply #12

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
I like the Chaos Bikers a lot, and think they're a lot nicer than the MArine one earlier!  Archaon's cool, but I feel we're not seeing his "good side"?  The shield obscures too much of the mini. :( 

June 30, 2008, 04:11:04 AM
Reply #13

nukehead

• Information
    • View Profile
nicely painted ;)  love the weathering

June 30, 2008, 11:44:49 AM
Reply #14

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
I so meant to chime in earlier. Archaon's steed is really nicely done, good job with the dry brushing. Archaon himself looks a little rough but that may just be the photo. i definately wanna see another pic or two of him. The bikers are kinda plain, to much black for me. The weathering looks pretty good though, very dusty.  Careful about to much gray when dry brushing blacks. you can always drybrush a little black over your highlights to soften them.

June 30, 2008, 08:03:40 PM
Reply #15

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
For some reason the grey I used on the marine bikers did'nt want to adhere properly. I think it was because of a slightly damp drybrush, but I'm not sure. I figured that riding a bike would kick up a lot of dust so it seemed natural to have the bottom portion of the bikes dusty.

Archaon's been sitting unassembled on my desk for almost 2 years. A GW guy sold it to me when I was a noob to painting and was so unhappy with the original result that I dismembered it and had it sit in my storge area ever since. I never did like that GW guy. I finally worked up the courage to attempt it again and am very satisfied with the result. It took all of a Saturday to put the thing together too. I started at like 10:00 AM and ended at 10:00 PM. The horse had like 5 layers of grey on top of the black and the cape was also drybrushed with about 5 layers of red. I'll post more pics of Archaon in my next update.