Author Topic: GB4 - Sci Fi GPX Racer - The Speed Daemon  (Read 3897 times)

June 18, 2008, 09:47:29 PM
Read 3897 times

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
Its across the finish line!  I have finally wrapped up my FFF group build #4 project The Speed Daemon. Not sure if I should post it here or not, mods can move it if needed.
It has been a bumpy road ^_^ but I have really enjoyed this piece. It taught me a lot and I thank everyone that supported my WIP thread. The parts of many models and toys were scavenged and about $40 dollars worth of epoxy putty went into the construction. I lost one of the ridgeback grenades so I put a piece of styrene tube in its place as though one round was already fired... problem fixed, more or  less. Overall I'm pleased with how she looks but my photos are a bit too bright. My small soft box was not big enough for this finished model. So you will see a little glare on some parts. The FFA topcoat was a semigloss to keep the "flesh" bloody. Then a coat of varnish was applied to the meaty bits to bring them back up to my original standards. Lets not stand on ceremony, I bring you The Speed Daemon

FULL SPEED AHEAD! http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3257/2591383565_300d279728_b.jpg

MOAR
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3102/2591384243_a478c0e94a_b.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3055/2592224128_0c4317c828_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3104/2591384511_ee8caec778_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3179/2592224512_0e82ae92bb_o.jpg
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

June 18, 2008, 10:01:47 PM
Reply #1

robofreak

• Information
    • View Profile
This is awesome! You can definitely see the 40k influence in this model. I think it was a good thing that you lost a grenade. It gets rid of the symmetry to an extent and makes it feel like it's actually been racing for a bit if that makes sense.

I can't believe you put $40 in epoxy putty into it.

June 18, 2008, 10:35:40 PM
Reply #2

GlauG

• Information
  • Decepticon Ninja Consultant
    • View Profile
This is extremely impressive work!  I love the sense of character it has...

June 19, 2008, 04:43:34 AM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Very nice work! Almost looks like an action figure the way it's done. Colors are great.

June 19, 2008, 08:19:57 AM
Reply #4

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
Cripes, you need therapy!  :lol:

The finished product looks great! I especially like all the scratches on the green parts. It looks like "Hell's Motorcycle". I can't find an image of it anywhere, but there's a skeleton motorcycle that reminds me a lot of this one in a biker bar in Topeka, Kansas.
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 19, 2008, 09:05:27 AM
Reply #5

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Thanks guys I like the colors of everything but the stain on the base. I'll prbably go back and restain it. :meh2:

Robo- most of the $$ was spent making the "skin" terrain.

Glau- I'm glad that feeling came through. I strive to give all my work a different, interesting feel.

Foo- I was hoping it wouldn't look like a christmas demon. :D The base gave me a bit of trouble trying to get it to contrast the bike without clashing

Zero- Therapy? I'll take that as a compliment. ^_^ The scratches were a neat learning expeience. I used the hairspay trick (light on the hairspray) but instead of a stiff brush to make chips I took a rough brass rod and lightly scratched it. Worked out but got a little to happy in some spots so I touched those up with some silver details.
Which skeleton bike I've seen two?

June 19, 2008, 09:33:54 AM
Reply #6

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
It looked a little more like the first one, but this was a non-functional bike either made completely of bone or made to look like it was made completely of bone. I thought I had a digital picture of it somewhere. I'll dig through the external HD and see if I can't turn it up.

And yes--the "you need therapy" comment was a compliment.  :D
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

June 20, 2008, 06:27:41 PM
Reply #7

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Finally done in all it's gore-y eh?  :lol:

It's one of the more creative pieces out there, and I think you did the flesh well.  I had reservations about it before but now I think it looks cool.  There is a very very faint mold line on the wheel though, a little bit distracting. 

June 21, 2008, 10:11:15 AM
Reply #8

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
    • View Profile
Finally done in all it's gore-y eh?  :lol:

It's one of the more creative pieces out there, and I think you did the flesh well.  I had reservations about it before but now I think it looks cool.  There is a very very faint mold line on the wheel though, a little bit distracting. 
Thanks Major. I'm distracted by it as well. I used a wheel with a rubber tire on the front and I tried every trick I knew to get rid of that seam. It looks alot better but still not perfect... Poor lighting conditions :doh: I'm working on a better shot.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2008, 09:55:46 PM by chaos_theory »