Author Topic: 1/144 Bandai RMS-119 EWAC-Zack "Eye-Zack" Kai  (Read 5596 times)

July 14, 2008, 10:20:40 AM
Read 5596 times

wingnut

• Information
    • View Profile
Hey folks,

Finally finished this latest MSV project...

Brief fictional background;

With the advent of the EFF (Earth Federation Forces) came the integration of mobile suit designs from both Earth Federation and Zeonic forces.  This led to more efficient designs, one of which is the Hi-Zack, which eventually became one of the mainstays of the EFF mobile suit units, most notably the "Titans" unit.

A derivative of the Hi-Zack was the RMS-119 EWAC-Zack, or more affectionally known as the "Eye-Zack".  This mobile suit variant (MSV) design featured an array of recon and communication systems, it's most prominent feature being it's radome bonnet.  This particular unit was a custom or "Kai" version, having an improved powerplant housed in a bigger  torso with upgraded cooling systems and intakes.  The booster pack has also been upgraded with more powerful booster jets and the incorporation of longer wings for better and longer flight/jump time during recon missions.

This unit was also provided with a custom shield that houses a FLIR and high-definition optical lens camera giving an optical zoom capability of 10000x.  Unit number 40 of the 21st Recon Squadron was flown by Major Samuel "Owl Feathers" Johnson from the Navajo nation in keeping with the long honored tradition of this native american nation's people and their prowess in recon missions and spec ops telecoms systems.

Base kits > Bandai 1/144 EWAC Eye-Zack + HGUC Hi-Zack;

Modifications:
> Mobility joints for torso, shoulders, arms and feet;
> Custom head and radome bonnet;
> Widened upper torso;
> Custom chest intakes;
> Lengthened booster pack wings;
> Custom camera shield;
> Aftermarket aluminum boosters and manipulators;

Gunze paints + Mr Hobby flat coat for finishing;
Decals are from Wave, Bandai and Satellite;

Weathering was done with Gundam markers and Mr Hobby pigment powders;

Hope I did justice to this Katoki MSV design...

More finished pix here...

WIP images here...

Everyone grows old, but not everybody grows up..."

July 15, 2008, 05:41:13 PM
Reply #1

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Great work!  I really like what you did to it.  The color scheme is nice and flashy, just the head with all the decal is enough to win me over.  Some very very minor nitpicks:
- seems like the arms can be pushed in more?  I see quite a big gap at the shoulder to chest area.  Is that for mobility consideration?
- I like the cables you added to the head.  The inner ones with the metal bits look a lot better though.  I think it would've been even better if the outer two has the same metal bits. 

Again, those are very minor nitpicks for a great model.  2 thumbs up!! (and karma up!)

July 17, 2008, 08:43:50 PM
Reply #2

wingnut

• Information
    • View Profile
hey thanks for the feedback major...

you're right, the wider than normal gap for the shoulder was to accommodate the shoulder armor poseability, which could be easily adjusted to have a smaller gap as i used double ball joints for these mods...that's why i also articulated the mounting for the booster propellant tanks as well...

the custom hoses to the head was to add to the whole proportion of the radome bonnet, as i found the original ones a tad too small, and i was thinking that a radome system needs more juice than a normal mech...

the metal sleeves for the outboard hoses could be added on easily as these are only fixed at one end at the neck...

i did consider a low-viz scheme for the project since it's a recon mech, but somewhere along the way, i found it too blah (no pun intended... :lol:) and decided to switch to the billboard colors and the flashy markings...just to make it a lot more interesting...

this recon aircraft color scheme being an inspiration...

July 20, 2008, 06:38:53 PM
Reply #3

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
I agree with the Major, The paint scheme is perfect and radome is definitely the icing on the cake. Chest vent mods are a nice tweek. I got two little tiny knitpicks myself:

1. The "X" on the shoulder, seems like it should be the same width as the "V" on the calf thrusters. This could just be an optical illusion and they acutually are the same.
2. Your weathering/ panel lines look a little rough in a few spots.

Great name and great decal on the Radome.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 06:41:37 PM by chaos_theory »
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

July 21, 2008, 01:21:36 PM
Reply #4

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I really like this model, it's strong all around. Great mobility mods, great conversion mods, great detailing, nice color scheme great decals. I really like the picture in the flight pose. People really have to check out the WIP and see all the things you did before they realize how good it is. Thumbs up!
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

September 04, 2008, 08:52:08 AM
Reply #5

wingnut

• Information
    • View Profile

September 04, 2008, 09:37:55 AM
Reply #6

dr_feelgood

• Information
    • View Profile
    • Mechaion Designs
nice mods and color scheme! I laso like the decal placement! great job! :D

September 06, 2008, 01:20:42 PM
Reply #7

blackito

• Paragon of Justice
  • Information
  • Bonta-Kun Hates You !!!
    • View Profile
That is one unique kit you've made. The blue and orange go well together. The camera and the mouth mods are great additions and the decals are well placed. Congratz  :-)
この世界を守りたい

September 15, 2008, 10:14:15 PM
Reply #8

AkoHobby

• Information
    • View Profile
    • AkoHobby
oh...nearly missed your nice work. I like it!

September 15, 2008, 11:29:15 PM
Reply #9

5thluna

• No SD, No Gundam!
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • 5thluna
yes i also love orange accent in total.
nice concept. great great job :D