Author Topic: Newbie reporting... MG Strike and MK-II  (Read 4477 times)

August 12, 2008, 09:23:56 PM
Read 4477 times

taz1004

• Information
    • View Profile
Hi, It's been 25 years since I last touched a Gundam when I was 10.  Back then, it was just enamel and paintbrush.  I just picked it up again 4 months ago and I've been learning a ton from this excellent website as well as this forum.  I'm a bit embarrassed to put up my work because I've seen some amazing stuff here and mine pales in comparison... well... I'm still learning.

This was my first sacrifice in April. At the time, I didn't know where to start and Foo's tutorial gave me a clear direction and all I did was just follow. Made a lot of mistakes but learned a lot.

And my second. Finished this in June. MK-II was the reason I got back into gunpla.  I wanted a MK-II kit when I was 10 but couldn't afford it.  Now I can  ^_^

This is same as above but did some weathering and built a base.  Shot in my backyard... I love natural light!

August 12, 2008, 09:39:15 PM
Reply #1

mjbolin

• Information
    • View Profile
Dont be humble my dear boy! Your work is excellent and don't be ashamed for you have so far been the best "new" gunpla modeler I have seen emerge on this boards.

Yes the strike is a little messy, but your MK-II is simply sublime. A perfect wash and weathering. The only complaint I can muster is the green on the shield, it doesnt look right to me sorry and quite standoutish. But other than that you have a great work.

August 12, 2008, 09:46:03 PM
Reply #2

taz1004

• Information
    • View Profile
Yea, the shield, it's the part that bothers me the most too.  I used gold metallic on parts that are supposed to be yellow and just forgot about the shield.  Should redo that part when I get the chance.  Thank you for the input!

August 13, 2008, 01:32:28 AM
Reply #3

nath_1977

• Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechapinoy.net
great work! i like the MK-ii shot it natural light, looks realistic! The depth of field effect and subtle weathering made it even realistic!two thumbs up sir!

August 13, 2008, 06:07:39 AM
Reply #4

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Very ice work for a supposed noobie. The weathering on the MK II is great and whow a gundam should be weathered IMO. Nice work!

August 13, 2008, 06:55:53 AM
Reply #5

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
I agree.  That second set with the Mk-II on the base are fantastic (except the ones on the grass :P).  Great work!

August 13, 2008, 11:13:38 AM
Reply #6

taz1004

• Information
    • View Profile
Thank you all for viewing them. I know they're far from the high standards of this board but as long as there's sign of improvement, I guess I'm going the right direction. For now, I'm still learning and experimenting different tools and technique from other people's work... especially from Foo's as the WIP's are very helpful.  Once I'm comfortable, I hope to create some original work of my own... someday  ;)

August 13, 2008, 05:28:31 PM
Reply #7

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Great models and great photos!  Welcome to the forum and hope to see more of your work in the future.

August 14, 2008, 04:06:54 PM
Reply #8

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
The Strike was OK for a beginner. The unweathered Mk. II was a solid build (except for the green on the shield... ???) but after weathering the Mk. II is a really solid model. All I would say it needs is a better pose. You're showing a lot of potential, looking forward to your future works! :D
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010

August 25, 2008, 02:16:09 PM
Reply #9

Strikr

• Information
    • View Profile
Great job on of these, I especially liked the RX-178 on the diorama. The weathering and your paint job were very impressive. Can't wait to see some more from you!!