Author Topic: G-System 1/48 Hi-Nu  (Read 15768 times)

August 24, 2008, 07:18:48 PM
Read 15768 times

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mtomczek.com
This is my final update for today. Just put the finishing touches on this badboy this morning, and its finally complete. After 4 months of work, almost $400 in supplies, and countless hours spent its done. All of the white/blue/grey blue paint is Tamiya acrylics, while all of the metallics are Mr.Color Super Metallics. I used about 10 bottles of white paint on this thing.  It stands about 1 1/2 - 2x the height of a PG kit, and is about as deep as 1 PG kit. The LED's are powered by 9 LR44 batteries ($6 a piece!) and took about 3 hours to re-wire and solder so that they would actually fit inside the kit.

Overall it was a fantastic build and everything fit together as if it was a snap fit plastic kit, probably the most amazing resin kit design I've seen in a while. I will be building a full acrylic case for it this coming week once I pick up the supplies for it.

Enjoy!   8)

August 25, 2008, 12:12:43 AM
Reply #1

eyewitness

• Information
    • View Profile
Dude, this is amazing...
I'm blown away, everything on it is so nicely done....
Congrats, it must have been a huge effort!
Oh, and post some pics where we can see the size of the thing! :D

ps: I'm still gasping when looking at the pics...
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
There was a terrible ghastly noise.
There was a terrible ghastly silence.
The Vogon Constructor Fleet coasted away into the inky starry void.

August 25, 2008, 01:01:15 AM
Reply #2

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
 :twitch:
Wow, this looks incredible. Just the sheer size and amount of work that went into it it is impressive.
And the finish and the colors are awesome!
Great use of alcad paints!
Did you add the little fins at the end of the funnels?

August 25, 2008, 08:49:05 AM
Reply #3

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
  • nobody said it was going to be easy...
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
Great Job!!!  8) I am impressed, two G-system Kits completed. The Nu-Hi Gundam looks beautiful, the paint job turned out great; I love how the paint job turned out. Wow, 10 bottles of white paint, I can only imagine how much paint I will need to paint my model when it is done...  :twitch:
Order custom printed t-shirts at tilluminati.

August 25, 2008, 10:23:53 AM
Reply #4

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Dude, this is amazing...
I'm blown away, everything on it is so nicely done....
Congrats, it must have been a huge effort!
Oh, and post some pics where we can see the size of the thing! :D

ps: I'm still gasping when looking at the pics...

I'll take a few size comparison shots tonight when I get home from work.

August 25, 2008, 01:09:53 PM
Reply #5

fulcy

• Genius is never understood in its own time
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.mechaskunk.com
You should take some pics of the progress on your commission models too ;)

August 25, 2008, 01:16:35 PM
Reply #6

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
You should take some pics of the progress on your commission models too ;)

I should! ;)

August 25, 2008, 02:03:22 PM
Reply #7

Strikr

• Information
    • View Profile
Wow this is impressive.  All the little details that are around this are amazing. Great job putting this together.

August 25, 2008, 02:14:39 PM
Reply #8

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
:twitch:
Wow, this looks incredible. Just the sheer size and amount of work that went into it it is impressive.
And the finish and the colors are awesome!
Great use of alcad paints!
Did you add the little fins at the end of the funnels?

The fins at the end of the funnels are part of the kit. The only thing I added to it are the mechaskunk beads and balls and stuff.

I don't even want to know how much time was actually spent on this thing. 500+ hours at least I would imagine, all while working on 2 other comission projects and working!

August 25, 2008, 05:57:42 PM
Reply #9

Major Blah

• Bloody Canadian
  • Information
  • oink!
    • View Profile
    • SquintyEyes
Oh man how do you multi-task like that? 

It's been awhile since I'm blown away by a gundam.  You've made my day.  Those internals are fantastic!  :pirate2:

August 25, 2008, 06:16:03 PM
Reply #10

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Oh man how do you multi-task like that? 

It's been awhile since I'm blown away by a gundam.  You've made my day.  Those internals are fantastic!  :pirate2:

Thanks for the compliments Horace!

These 3 weren't all done at the same time. However they did overlap each other, as well as 2 other comissions I am working on. Basically I would work on some parts on one kit, then when those parts were either drying, or finished, I would work on parts from another kit. I also have 2 airbrushes and 2 compressors, so I could have one set of paint ready on one ab, and the other set on the other ab.  ;)

August 27, 2008, 10:24:03 PM
Reply #11

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
For those who asked, I took a quick size comparison shot tonight. No fancy lighting or photo box this time, just on my dining room table.

The kit in front of the Hi-Nu is the new 1/100 MG Gelgoog V 2.0.  ;)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 10:24:40 PM by mtomczek »

August 28, 2008, 08:02:26 AM
Reply #12

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
nice photo, a size comparison is the only way show the differences in the scale. So, what is your next project? Let me guess a 1/48 scale "The-O II Hauer" from scratch.

BTW - Was it hard to install the wiring? How much work did you have to do to install the lights for this model?

August 28, 2008, 09:36:41 AM
Reply #13

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Well I have a few more comissions to finish up first. Once those are out of the way, I am going to start on my own 1/35 scratchbuild project and start work on my 1/100 Garibaly from Luca (which is already pinned).

I might also start working on my 1/35 RX-78-2 ver ka which I have pinned already as well.

The "O II Hauer" from scratch is actually kind of similar to my initial designs for my scratch build, but it would be 1/35 instead of 1/48   :ninja:

The wiring for the 1/48 Hi-Nu was a nightmare. The LED's in the head, chest, and center of backpack are all wired to the same battery box. Its supposed to fit right in the chest, under the head but there is no way in hell it would fit. So I had to cut all the wires off (had to do this just to get the leds into the spots they needed to be) and then re-wire and solder everything into the open cavity in the torso (the middle part just above the waist is hollow). The 2 binder wings went together with no problems since each of those have their own battery box and switch. So all together it has 3 switches, 3 battery boxes, and 9 LR44 batteries. Took me about 3 hours to re-wire and solder everything together.

August 28, 2008, 09:40:47 AM
Reply #14

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
The "O II Hauer" from scratch is actually kind of similar to my initial designs for my scratch build, but it would be 1/35 instead of 1/48 
POST. PICTURES. NOW. :secret police:

August 28, 2008, 09:55:10 AM
Reply #15

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
The "O II Hauer" from scratch is actually kind of similar to my initial designs for my scratch build, but it would be 1/35 instead of 1/48 
POST. PICTURES. NOW. :secret police:

HAHAHA I only have drawings right now. I haven't actually started on anything. ;)  :secret police:

August 28, 2008, 12:20:24 PM
Reply #16

clee-cm

• Tilluminati.com
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • digitalblend-cl
The-0 II Hauer in 1/35 scale would be huge... my Hazel when completed will be about 23" high approximately. A Hauer would be over double the size, it would be a interesting project though.

Still, it would be a interesting project.

Wow, I did not realize that it was such a pain in the neck to wire a model like this. Still, great job...  :-)

August 28, 2008, 12:22:53 PM
Reply #17

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
The-0 II Hauer in 1/35 scale would be huge... my Hazel when completed will be about 23" high approximately. A Hauer would be over double the size, it would be a interesting project though.

Still, it would be a interesting project.

Wow, I did not realize that it was such a pain in the neck to wire a model like this. Still, great job...  :-)

Yea, its going to be gigantic. But its not going to actually be the O II.  Just some of my design cues are taken from it.

The LED's were a pain for this specific model because of the design of the space thats supposed to hold them, and the actual location of the led's in the kit. The other g-system kits i've done that have led's in them have been simple setups.

August 30, 2008, 06:29:45 AM
Reply #18

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Very nice work... can't believe how huge it is. THe internals look fantastic. That Gunze looks like good stuff for that.

August 30, 2008, 07:05:37 PM
Reply #19

mtomczek

• paid by the force
  • Information
    • View Profile
Very nice work... can't believe how huge it is. THe internals look fantastic. That Gunze looks like good stuff for that.

Yea, I really like the Mr. Color Super Metallics. I am going to be using those I think from now on. Its nice the HobbyWave is carrying them now, pretty close to the same price as R10 too.