Author Topic: 1:144 Queadluun Rau  (Read 5129 times)

October 21, 2008, 05:59:28 PM
Read 5129 times

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
1:144 Queadluun Rau

I initially tried to finish this for the MMC Female Contest back in February, but by late night on the last day of the month the farthest I'd gotten was the basic paint job, so I decided I didn't want to enter the model in the contest given that it was basically unfinished. More recently, I finished it up - adding decals and a simple wooden base for a flight pose. I'm really happy with how it turned out: it really shows that Imai had their heads screwed on properly when they were designing their original Macross kit line...

---GEC
Jabber ID: tetsujin@scope-eye.net

October 22, 2008, 04:41:39 AM
Reply #1

zerobxu

• mit Sauerkraut!
  • Information
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
    • View Profile
    • Zero: Dumber Than Fiction
I'm not familiar with this kit--or most Macross kits--but I find this one really visually appealing. Colors look good, and the markings look great! The lines are a little subdued, but that's not a serious detraction.

How hard is it to find one of these kits nowadays?
"The parrot is the bird that talks the most and flies the worst."
-The Wright Brothers

October 22, 2008, 07:20:59 AM
Reply #2

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
I'm not familiar with this kit--or most Macross kits--but I find this one really visually appealing. Colors look good, and the markings look great! The lines are a little subdued, but that's not a serious detraction.

How hard is it to find one of these kits nowadays?

Bandai just reissued 'em again to cash in on Frontier - it's in stock on HLJ...
---GEC

October 22, 2008, 10:00:41 AM
Reply #3

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Well... constructive criticism time. Definitely not your best work IMO. Overall it has a messy feel to it. The finish on the clearcoat is frosty, like too much Flat Base was added to Future. The black, especially in the recesses has no depth due to the frostiness. And there's dust (in paint, clearcoat, or on model?) and dark "spots". The wash is "washed out" and not effective, especially on the front squares on the sides of the eye area.

Positive-wise I see no seams or decal silvering.

Personal-opinion-wise I don't like the black rod as it looks tacked on as an afterthought.

October 22, 2008, 10:56:26 AM
Reply #4

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
Well... constructive criticism time. Definitely not your best work IMO. Overall it has a messy feel to it. The finish on the clearcoat is frosty, like too much Flat Base was added to Future. The black, especially in the recesses has no depth due to the frostiness. And there's dust (in paint, clearcoat, or on model?) and dark "spots". The wash is "washed out" and not effective, especially on the front squares on the sides of the eye area.

Fair.  There were issues.  I was initially really disappointed that I didn't do better at Granitecon with this model, and the other two - but after having a healthy amount of sleep, and taking the best pictures I could with the best camera I had, zooming in and editing them for web...  More of those issues stand out to me than did on Saturday night.  :)

I'd add to that the ones that stand out more to me: color-boundary issues between black and white (for instance around the knee joints, or in the black stripes near the ankles) - seam on the upper legs that split open a couple times and is still visible (in the photos? I'm not sure...)  Some decal damage here and there, too (including two white circles on the yellow markings on the forearms - not caused by me but some kind of decal defect, possibly age related...)  Plus some yellowing that's noticeable on the markings that sit on white parts...

I have some dust and pet hair issues in my work area.  I really have to work those out, it's becoming quite a problem.

This set of projects (the Queadluun, Scopedog, and HGUC Zaku) was also my first attempt at using oils for washes and weathering.  Mistakes were made.  :D

Positive-wise I see no seams or decal silvering.

This is something I put a lot into...  It seems like most people's projects, no matter how good the rest of the work is, there will still be visible decal edges.  I did my best to erase the decal boundaries - and I think in a few places at least I succeeded.  Silvering did threaten to be a problem early on - I'd screwed up and decaled over an inadequate level of gloss (I think I'd been spraying my Future too dry - instead of forming a smooth gloss it got a little bumpy...  Later I rectified that problem, but not until after I'd applied the decals and realized just how much of a mess I'd made...)

Personal-opinion-wise I don't like the black rod as it looks tacked on as an afterthought.

Clem had a similar complaint when I used a black rod as the stand for the Geara Doga...  I'm not sure what your complaint is here - whether it's the fact that I used a black rod (as opposed to clear acrylic or something) or just the way it's arranged...

If the issue is black rod vs. clear rod - personally I just prefer use of a black rod.
If the issue is placement - admittedly it's a problem.  I tried to put the rod out of the way but in some shots it's still fairly prominent (especially the side views, where it's seen in front of white parts of the leg...)  I didn't really want the rod coming out of the backpack, that limited the options a bit.

About the black parts - it's true they're not stark black any more (for a bit I wasn't sure if that was just a result of the photos - This is the first time in a while that I've done finished model shots, and this time around I was using a different camera than usual) but I don't feel like that's a problem, personally.  Scrutinizing the photos a bit more I think probably seeing the light sources as point-reflections on various parts of the model isn't helping (need to diffuse my light, I guess) - and I have no idea where those blue reflections are coming from...  (Ott-light, maybe?)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2008, 10:57:49 AM by tetsujin »
---GEC

October 22, 2008, 11:28:07 AM
Reply #5

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
Decals can be an issue... lately I've been using non-alps ones from various suppliers and they tend to be thicker thank what I'm used to. Pete's always "melted" into the finish and dissapeared leaving just the markings visible. The Bandai ones, while good, are thicker and more troublesome, especially on curves and over panel lines.

How large is this model when done? It's one I've contemplated getting for years, but it seems to need a lot of work to make it look good. OOB it doesn't have that sleek feel that it did in SDF Macross. Something with the legs I think... perhaps lengthening them 25-50% (drastic I know) would help and give it more femininity. The Frontier version seems to have a better aesthetic, plus the nice gun slung on its back. Perhaps it's the backwards tilt of the torso/pelvic thrust. The Bandai one just looks "fat". NO FAT CHICKS! :lol:

http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3581/pixyunitxc3.jpg

Maybe the big B will do one of these to go with the VF-25 and Varjra kits.

October 22, 2008, 11:50:18 AM
Reply #6

tetsujin

• Builder of Zakus
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • Scope Eye.net
How large is this model when done? It's one I've contemplated getting for years, but it seems to need a lot of work to make it look good. OOB it doesn't have that sleek feel that it did in SDF Macross. Something with the legs I think... perhaps lengthening them 25-50% (drastic I know) would help and give it more femininity. The Frontier version seems to have a better aesthetic, plus the nice gun slung on its back. Perhaps it's the backwards tilt of the torso/pelvic thrust. The Bandai one just looks "fat". NO FAT CHICKS! :lol:

Back when I first got the kit all my plans on how to build it had to do with how to "fix" it...  cut out the black part around the head, make it properly recessed with a distinct head unit inside (instead of having the head sit on the front of a flat black plane), reduce the size of the chest area (especially front-to-back), detail the cockpit, possibly convert it to the movie version, etc...  But I think it represents the original Q-Rau pretty well...  It never was super-sleek, it just looked cool and kicked a lot of ass.  :)

But, yeah, it'd be great if Bandai kitted the Queadluun Rea...  Much as I like the old Miyatake look for the Queadluun, the Frontier version is fun, too - and in terms of a fresh kit of the thing I'll take what I can get.  :D

The thing about the Frontier version is it's even more of a mystery how someone can get in it...  Originally I think the idea was that the pilot's legs really did go down into the machine's legs (which is one reason why the upper legs are so short) - on the Yamato Q-Rau the pilot's legs actually go into the backpack, instead - but on the Q-Rea, the backpack's a lot smaller...

As for the size thing - I think it's about the height of a HG Zaku but it's a lot more bulky...
---GEC

October 27, 2008, 01:22:51 PM
Reply #7

Funaka

• W? FTP!
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • Look into my EYES!!!
    • View Profile
    • Funakatown
I just wanted to say that it's really good to see one of these kits built. Back in my R/C airplane days, we had the expression "hangar queen", which referred to a plane somebody had built, but almost never flew. This kit is kind of a "stash queen", a kit many people (myself included) own and never actually build.

It looks good on a stand in a flying pose. The pictures of the model standing on the box don't make it look that good.

Someday, I'll build mine... unless Bandai makes an updates Macross F version, I'd be all over that, even before I'd buy a VF-25.

The thing about the Frontier version is it's even more of a mystery how someone can get in it... 

The really amazing thing is how she manages not to slam the hatch on her tatas! :lol: ;)
"I don't belong to an organized political party. I'm a Democrat." - Will Rogers

Please visit Funakatown
Also, see my report on the Bandai Gunpla World Cup 2010