Author Topic: First Completed Kit in Over 20 Years!!!! MG Zaku Mine Layer  (Read 7379 times)

October 31, 2008, 06:45:44 PM
Read 7379 times

mvm3897

• Polish Wan-A-Be Modeler!
  • Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
My first work posted here or any where LOL.

I can't believe it. I finally finished something. Here is my first model in 20 years. I chose the MG 1/100 Zaku Mine Layer. The kit was a snap to put together.(no pun intended) I actualy only glued like 4 or 5 parts.
Here is the link: http://www.mrozekphoto.com/zakuminelayer/

The pics where done as a quickie just because I wanted to see what it looked like photographed at a lower angle.

Techniques used on this kit: (all of these I had never done before)
1. Used Tamyia Extra Thin glue to all of the exterior parts to add texture (applied glue and let sit for about 10 seconds then used a tooth brush by bouncing it on the soft plastic)
2. Pre Shaded the internal frame and weathered it with Tamyia Pastels Set B. ( I am afraid to take the armor off now LOL)
3. Used Tamyia Arcylic paints and Thinner for the wash ( I wanted it to look like it has been left out in the rain for like 100 years) Colors used where white, black, red brown, olive drab and khaki
4. Used Tamyia weather pastels Set B for all of the Hi-Lights, dirt and grime, and weathering.
5. I used the bare plastic as the base color. I wanted to see what kind of results I could get with just washes and dry brushing.

I think thats it. The steps where done the order listed above. The wash was pretty dark after I finished but I got the look I was going for with the pastels using a lot of white. I used white to hilight the edges and to create streaks. I thin used the black to knock down some of the brightness. I used the brown pastel to bring out the streaks and to create spots of light surface rust.

I would love to hear what everyone thinks. I am pretty dam proud of it myself. I have a few little things to touch up and as you can see I lost one of the little thrusters on the leg so if anyone has an extra or knows where I can get a few that would be great.

I plan on making a simples base. Something outdoors maybe standing in a puddle of dirty, oily water since that the look I was going for. I havn't put decals on but I have some on order. I may just leave it. I think the weathering says enough and its pretty buisey as is.

Know I just have to finish the other dozen kits I have started. 

Any comments or suggestions would be very appreciated.

Thanks
Matt
SNIFFING RESIN DUST IS FUN!!!!!!

November 01, 2008, 08:23:29 AM
Reply #1

Doctor Seleski

• Do they make that in pink?
  • Information
  • Char!
    • View Profile
Congratulations on finishing a kit after so many years!  I can sympathize with your "pain" in not being able to finish a kit. :)

To me this looks overweathered.  (I could get into how this is a space use MS, but I won't.)  Perhaps that is the style you are going for but between that, the lack of markings/decals and the photography, this 1/00 scale kit ends up looking like a miniature.

So what else is on your bench?  I've seen a list of G-Sys resin kits.  Anything else?

November 01, 2008, 08:53:57 AM
Reply #2

FichtenFoo

• Michael Fichtenmayer
  • Information
  • Administrator
  • 16 bits of fun
    • View Profile
    • FichtenFoo.com
this 1/00 scale kit ends up looking like a miniature.

I was thinking the exact same thing before I read your post. How weird! The weathering looks interesting though. I think it's the high-contrast between the colors that give it the over the top effect, but it's a decent build. Welcome back to the madness!

November 01, 2008, 02:02:53 PM
Reply #3

U-recca

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • http://www.plamowarriordx.com
You know, oddly enough if you go back and look at some of the early publications of Hobby Japan, you'll find kits that look very similar in weathering style. It's not something that I've seen a lot of in recent years. Sort of refreshing in a way, and very different from the way I've approached my weathering, but who cares! This is still very cool to me.

And yeah, without markings or other objects in the photo, it plays with my sense of scale, making this look smaller that the average 1/100 MG. Pretty interesting.

Really can't think of anything else. It's a solid build-up. Good work!
http://www.plamowarriordx.com

/!\ Caution: Overuse of these timely and informative news updates can lead to excessive expenditures on hobby products. Use with care to avoid potential financial and/or marital distress!

-Model Graphix

November 01, 2008, 02:46:28 PM
Reply #4

chaos_theory

• Is Boldy Going Nowhere
  • Information
  • Help Editors
  • I think he did a little too much LDS in the 60's
    • View Profile
I really like this Zaku. The weathering gives me the feeling of a Zeon ground unit from 08th MS Team with lots of wear and tear from time spent in jungle operations. The paint has oxidized and worn off from constant damp conditions. I miss the decals but still a valiant effort worthy of commending. Welcome Back Kotter.
"Don't tell me. You're from outer space."
"No, I'm from Iowa. I only work in outer space."

November 01, 2008, 03:20:39 PM
Reply #5

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
this 1/00 scale kit ends up looking like a miniature.

I was thinking the exact same thing before I read your post. How weird! The weathering looks interesting though. I think it's the high-contrast between the colors that give it the over the top effect, but it's a decent build. Welcome back to the madness!

Thanks for the feed back.  The pictures arn't the greatest specially from a photographer LOL.  The color contrast is really not like you see it.  When processed in photoshop I bumped the contrast up.  Something I do in all my photography but it's to much here.  I did want the over weathered look so I got the effect I wanted.  The base I have in mind may be like a junk yard are an out door scene in the rain standing in a pool of dirty oily water.  I think either would fill the bill.

November 01, 2008, 03:27:22 PM
Reply #6

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Congratulations on finishing a kit after so many years!  I can sympathize with your "pain" in not being able to finish a kit. :)

To me this looks overweathered.  (I could get into how this is a space use MS, but I won't.)  Perhaps that is the style you are going for but between that, the lack of markings/decals and the photography, this 1/00 scale kit ends up looking like a miniature.

I do have decals coming in from Samuel Decals.  I will add those when they come.  I think I only want a few since I wanted a very used but not abused look.  I can add them and weather them to fit the rest of the kit.

So what else is on your bench?  I've seen a list of G-Sys resin kits.  Anything else?

I have the following in some stage of assembly and prep:

G-Sys 1/35 RX-78 Ver Ka (90% pinned)
G-Sys 1/100 Quebeley (30% pinned)
G-Sys 1/48 RX 93 Nu (inner frame assembled)
G-Sys 1/100 Rx -78 Light Armor Fixed pose (pinned ready for cleaning and priming)
HG 1/100 Zaku Sniper  (ready for paint)
HGCU Kampfer
G-Sys 1/60 Kampfer (inner frame started)
MG Zeta Test Color  (painted white and purple, ready for panel lines and decal)
and like 3 MG kits pre assembled waiting for conversion kits and for me to get off of my lazy butt.

November 01, 2008, 03:29:01 PM
Reply #7

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
You know, oddly enough if you go back and look at some of the early publications of Hobby Japan, you'll find kits that look very similar in weathering style. It's not something that I've seen a lot of in recent years. Sort of refreshing in a way, and very different from the way I've approached my weathering, but who cares! This is still very cool to me.

And yeah, without markings or other objects in the photo, it plays with my sense of scale, making this look smaller that the average 1/100 MG. Pretty interesting.

Really can't think of anything else. It's a solid build-up. Good work!

Ya I saw a Rick Dias in an old issue and kind thought of that when doing it.  I took it a little farther though.  I got what I wanted and thats what matters.  Read reply to Fichtenfoo about scale issue

November 01, 2008, 03:33:57 PM
Reply #8

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Thanks for taking a look everyone.  The more feed back the better.  I am very rusty in my building skills so I feel like this Zaku.  Between all of the forums and awesome works I see I get a lot of great ideas.  Specially from mtomczek(I hope thats right)  He too likes the G-Sys kits so I look at his work a lot.  I really like Fichtenfoo's style.  Clean and very precise.  I admire the Zaku dio in the hangar, simply awesome.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2008, 06:26:35 PM by mvm3897 »

November 01, 2008, 03:37:13 PM
Reply #9

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I really like this Zaku. The weathering gives me the feeling of a Zeon ground unit from 08th MS Team with lots of wear and tear from time spent in jungle operations. The paint has oxidized and worn off from constant damp conditions. I miss the decals but still a valiant effort worthy of commending. Welcome Back Kotter.

Thanks for the feed back.  To be honest I think I have seen a total of 2 Gundam cartoons.  I just remember as a kid I loved the models.  I have started looking at the anime series so I can have some understanding of each of the MS and their purpose, but I kind of like not knowing what the heck is going on so I can put my own spin on the kits with out feeling like I have to mimick the series.

November 02, 2008, 02:27:01 AM
Reply #10

Marc

• Information
  • Le Moderator
    • View Profile
Cool model but please don't do 5X posting. One big response is fine too.

November 02, 2008, 05:40:20 AM
Reply #11

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
Cool model but please don't do 5X posting. One big response is fine too.
  Sorry bout that.  I am new to this forum and still learning the rules here.

May 19, 2010, 04:38:25 PM
Reply #12

K-Shaps

• Information
    • View Profile
Do you have a working link for these pictures? The one listed does not work anymore it just redirects to your photography page.

May 19, 2010, 07:59:30 PM
Reply #13

mvm3897

• Information
  • Reporter At Large
    • View Profile
    • www.mrozekphoto.com
I don't.  This kit is kind of not on display anyway.  I isn't even close to being done up to par compared to my other works that I have posted.  Sorry.

May 20, 2010, 09:42:31 PM
Reply #14

A Mejias

• Master of the Yard
  • Information
    • View Profile
    • http://www.HeyYouKids.com
I don't.  This kit is kind of not on display anyway.  I isn't even close to being done up to par compared to my other works that I have posted.  Sorry.

That's really too bad. I was hunting around for a while and really looking forward to seeing it as a first kit and seeing your growth.

To Moderators: Is there a way to deactivate or archive posts with dead photos links? Threads like this one with no photos is pretty much pointless and a time waister.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to seeing more great builds at all levels. :)
/.\\™
Al Mejias
Organizer of
The NYC Toy and Model Kit Meetup Group
http://www.meetup.com/NYC-Toy-n-Model-Kit/
Sponsored by Gundam Planet
http://www.GundamPlanet.com